ECF Council Voting Register 2018-2019

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

ECF Council Voting Register 2018-2019

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:55 pm

As the ECF Voting Registration Officer I have today arranged for the new style year long voting register for ECF Council to be on the ECF website (under Council Papers).

Garry Willson of the ECF Office always describes the production of this document as "a dark art" and indeed it is not always easy to determine from the grading data which organisation should be credited with which games. Consequently, as well as the register I have also uploaded a document giving a summary of which events have been allocated to which organisation.

I'd like to invite any league, congress or county offcial (or anyone else with an interest) to take a quick look at this document to assure themselves that they've not been diddled out of their fair number of votes (and, of course, to own up manfully and womanfully to any over-allocation). Queries and complaints should be sent to me at the ECF address given in the document [not by private message here, please - it's valuable to have a single reference place (even though I have used PMs during my own investigations)].

The documents also point out that unrepresented organisations (clubs, small leagues and congresses and many junior organisations) can use their influence a little by allocating (for voting purposes) their graded game submissions to organisations that are represented. Details on how to do this are set out in the explanatory notes to the main document. It is intended to be as informal and uncomplicated as possible and basically boils down to sending an email to [email protected]. Has your club made an allocation?

[Challenge: Find the Freudian Slip! (Using the correct intention of the phrase on this occasion)]

Angus French

Re: ECF Council Voting Register 2018-2019

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm

Can't, at the moment, check the game counts for the league I represent but what you've done looks very good, Michael. Thank you.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Michael you may have an issue by e-mailing out after leagues, etc have held their meetings with member clubs (our ECF reps were at our meetings).

Hopefully the e=mails have gone out to our reps & constituent organisations.

I was not aware that you are the ECF Voting registration officer until I saw this post,

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:57 am

Angus French wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm
Can't, at the moment, check the game counts for the league I represent but what you've done looks very good, Michael. Thank you.
Its not so much the count of games - any mistake there is likely to be a fault in grading submissions.
The real thing to look at is to make sure all the events are correct

Some typical poblems:

I get an entry saying D&DL Interim Games. This could be (in alphabetical order):
Darlington and District League or
Derby and District League or
Dudley and District League
I know the answer, but will keep quiet to avoid embarrassment

What should I do with Thanet Congress? Is it organised by Thanet league? (The answer is yes, because I've asked them)

What about "The Plantagenet Palliser Memorial Congress?" How am I know to it's organised by Barset Chess Association? (This one's imaginary).

A particular common problem is to know whether County Junior Associations are a part of their County Associations or separate entities.