ECF increased membership costs

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF increased membership costs

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:47 am

There is another point.

Presuming the ECF is currently "neutral" rather than "hostile" towards this forum, shouldn't they have stated their case for the increase in costs in parallel to making it available on their website?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:09 am

There is no compulsory membership of the national body. The ECF funding model is one of a number of options adopted in respect of membership organisations and national bodies. At heart is that as well as paying at point of participation you pay for administrative overheads within the supply chain, without which your direct expreience might be worse. If the money is collected from constituent units rather than individuals, the costs are still recovered from the individuals by other means. You need to broaden the range of people you speak to, this widespread resistance just isn't there, and many outside chess understand the funding model as something that occurs in other walks of life too. But I''m done here. For you there is always another point, for the rest there are concrete things that can and need to be done.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 am

"Reading between the lines, the ECF is being asked to employ a "development officer"."

We need more detail about what (s)he will do, and I mean specifically, not a wishy-washy generalization...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:11 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:09 am
If the money is collected from constituent units rather than individuals, the costs are still recovered from the individuals by other means.
That's not totally correct. If an organisation, a sponsored tournament perhaps, has other sources of income, it can pay its membership fee to the ECF out of that, rather than have to raise it from entry fees or expect participants to pay to become ECF members.

In the relatively unlikely event that the ECF had loads of money to disburse, it could do so by giving money to chess organisations rather than collecting from them.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Yes, but it's Magic Sponsorship, isn't it?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:51 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 pm
Yes, but it's Magic Sponsorship, isn't it?
I don't really see why major events such as Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Grand Chess Tour shouldn't be expected to make some financial contribution to the ECF going beyond just reimbursing the costs the ECF would incur with FIDE for rating. Use the FIDE method of a levy on the prize fund perhaps.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Do they take place under the control of the ECF?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:55 pm
Only to the extent that any event in the UK is under ECF control. These events are voting members of the ECF in a way that the ECF refuses to give to individuals. The ECF does have the monopoly position of being the recognised FIDE member for England. The ECF has the sanction of refusing to grade or rate events even if it doesn't have the power to ban events from taking place or to award licenses to enable them to take place.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Only to the extent that any event in the UK is under ECF control.
Neither Gibraltar nor the Isle of Man is in the UK.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Only to the extent that any event in the UK is under ECF control.
Neither Gibraltar nor the Isle of Man is in the UK.
Nevertheless, the ECF is the relevant federation. Both these organisations are represented on Council.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I like the idea that if Roger plays 10x more games than me he ought to pay 10x more than me. Will be nice to see some fairness.

ECF has enough financial wizards volunteers to come up with a fairer solution.

I'm not OK with my ECF fee being comparable to my annual club membership. Or that there are prize funds at certain grading limits. That also seems a bone of contention.

Maybe not gambling, but if want to be considered as a sport then there ought to be taxes. Is there a levy on part of my membership.

On a specific point on my membership perhaps 40 for the next 2 years have been easier to remember

I will rather have fees going down not up & why not cancel some services.

In my line of work there is going to be less money to go around per pupil not more.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 pm
Maybe not gambling, but if want to be considered as a sport then there ought to be taxes. Is there a levy on part of my membership.
The ECF has a turnover high enough that VAT is charged on membership costs and entry fees to ECF run events such as the British Championship Congress.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:22 am

I still think you should pay more than anyone else.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:21 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:22 am
I still think you should pay more than anyone else.
Out of services to the philosophy of memership structures, Roger should be presented with lifetime reduced membership by CJ De Mooi :lol:

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:10 pm

:D CJ still owes fees to my club. 'Sorry CJ but even if you are at the top of the BCF you still have to pay club membership like the rest of us.'

Perhaps Roger deserves exemption for entertainment every AGM but not at the expense of others. :D

Rather than an annual fee I would like the membership officer & team to go out with collection boxes, direct debit forms, and website/Television adverts like all the other charities do.

I really do not need a grading system to know where I rank in the ECF - it is not that important. Leave organisers to set any structure or prizes they want. Or clubs any board order they want in team events. I appreciate that the reason for this is to avoid mismatches but teams and captains ought to be able to follow simple rules without the huge costs time in resolving disputes.

It has really annoyed me that some captains think a rapidplay result & grade should change order under slow play conditions so someone with a significant 50minus ECF estimate should play above an established player whose grade is falling about 7 points a season. Ok very good to encourage players but sometimes not realising that work is switching towards being available 24/7 and answering e-mails on mobile devices from the important individuals in our organisation.

Game fee at 50p and so those that play 1000 games as well as moan about conditions pay double - it is only 1000 pounds. :lol: