ECF increased membership costs

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
J T Melsom

Re: ECF increased membership costs

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:35 pm

It remains to be seen to what extent the relatively small community of active chess players are prepared to act as a money tree for anything the ECF Directors think is a good idea to spend money on. There's a lot of people making a living out of junior teaching and coaching. Why cannot the ECF have a contribution?
How would you propose collecting it ? Its a service provided outside the umbrella of the ECF What right to that money do they have?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Roger

How much is the junior subscription at Bourne End?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:35 pm
a money tree for anything the ECF Directors think is a good idea to spend money on.
What a miserable attitude that is, to the chance for kids to play international.chess. It should be rejected on general principle.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:45 pm
What a miserable attitude that is, to the chance for kids to play international.chess. It should be rejected on general principle.
I'm asking who should pay and why it should be those required to finance the ECF as a condition of playing graded chess.

Those Federations who regularly organise major junior tournaments make a fair amount of money out of them. I'm thinking Greece and Turkey although others try to get in on the act. The basic money making method is to pay the hotels out of season prices, whilst charging participants high season costs.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Roger

How much is junior membership at Bourne End? Is it a lower sum that reflects similar reasons to why the ECF sets lower rates for juniors? At Wycombe it is 50% of the adult fee.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:06 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm
It might be possible to break down staff costs, and have them account for blocks of time, but would it really be desirable or proportionate? I may be naïve but I don't get the impression that the staff are slacking at work or just doing the minimum.
My first Email from the ECF Office today bears a time stamp of 7.58 am.
My last one to the office has a time stamp of 16.45. It asked for an upload to the ECF website, which I see has now happened.

Does that give any clues?

[Edit: last Email from the ECF Office received 17:35 - well last so far]
Last edited by Michael Farthing on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilised society.

The major gripe seems to be its potential to deter new players, so why not just give new players their first season free, or possibly half price. Not a bad commercial ploy at all considering once chess gets in your bones you are riddled for life.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Michael

You've quoted me in a way that might be read as negative about the office when in the full paragraph I was clearly saying the opposite. I didn't really need the clues that you provide though others might. Good to have the evidence, though no doubt some will say its only from one day etc etc.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:13 pm
Michael

You've quoted me in a way that might be read as negative about the office when in the full paragraph I was clearly saying the opposite. I didn't really need the clues that you provide though others might. Good to have the evidence, though no doubt some will say its only from one day etc etc.
I'm sorry - not my intent at all to criticise you: it was indeed directed at 'others'. Your meaning was very clear and I assumed that would be understood - but it is easy to trip up.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:10 pm
so why not just give new players their first season free,
The ECF needs the money.

I don't suppose anyone pays that much attention to strategic plans or statements but buried in the depths of this one
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... tement.pdf
is this comment
Complete the move to a full membership organisation and phase out Game Fee and Pay-To-Play fees.
If the ECF doesn't want to retain a "per event" charge for Congresses, its options for non-members are either to allow them to play for free (something it already more or less does for non-ENG players in FIDE rated tournaments) or that organisers demand membership as a condition of entry with the ECF having the sanction of excluding the event from ECF grading or FIDE rating if not complied with.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Hello Roger

I have a family friend who lives near Bourne End - how much would it cost for their secondary school child to join the club please.

[ Is the question unfair ? this is the third time I've asked without response thus far]
Last edited by J T Melsom on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Jonathan - it is only 5 miles from Bourne End to Maidenhead and NIgel runs a much bigger junior section. We have a long, proud tradition of poaching players from south Bucks schools. Feel free to give them my email.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks Paul. Do you happen to know what the fees are at Bourne End as I'm sure it must have been discussed at the AGM. Doesn't maidenhead meet on a Monday, I think that's an issue otherwise they would join Wycombe :)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm
- how much would it cost for their secondary school child to join the club please.

We set it to half the adult rate. Personally I think it should be higher for under 14s if their parents are paying, but that's not shared by everyone.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks for that. So your club membership support the principle and practice of reduced rates for juniors, that's to be applauded. And the world hasn't fallen in has it? :)