ECF AGM 2018

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Re: ECF AGM 2018

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 pm
You're entitled to disagree! I may be prejudiced as I have experienced the brave new world of open-plan offices and NLP, which are still being used widely, despite being discredited...

Anyway, keep up the good work.
Naturally! (on open offices, it often depends on the space constraints that usually makes senior management opt for the option, admittedly, it makes sense if you work in science/engineering research - to bounce ideas around; in my department we have a defacto quiet open office and a noisy open office, you may not be surprised to guess which office i'm in....)
G. Secretary, https://WarwickChessAlumni.blogspot.com/
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:14 pm

I can only find the Gambian Chief Arbiter listed in the voting register as representing Hastings. I struggle to think of a reason why that body should have any genuine objection to a new Junior Director, or has Alex upset someone else. Personality clashes aside, congresses voting on non congress issues and with considerable voting force is a matter of concern, and this sort of thing doesn't strengthen the case for the current system.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:14 pm
I can only find the Gambian Chief Arbiter listed in the voting register as representing Hastings. I struggle to think of a reason why that body should have any genuine objection to a new Junior Director, or has Alex upset someone else. Personality clashes aside, congresses voting on non congress issues and with considerable voting force is a matter of concern, and this sort of thing doesn't strengthen the case for the current system.
Generally congress organisers tend to be the progressives among council. If an experienced arbiter has an objection to the policies being pursued by the home director than a vote for none of the above is reasonable enough. If this is a case of voting against the same individual standing for another directorate purely out of spite (and I hope it isn't) I agree with you entirely.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
For clarity, we know not at all whether an arbiter voted against Alex nor who else might have done so. And unless we have a public statement from those that did we never will know. Some people have their suspicions maybe. But that it was they are. Unlike card votes, elections are subject to secret ballot.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks. I read an earlier post as saying that somebody had definitely done so. If I'm wrong I'll apologise to the individual concerned for any slight. But there is a wider point so I won't delete the whole post.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Out of interest, what was the result of the election that is bothering people here?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm
J T Melsom wrote:
For clarity, we know not at all whether an arbiter voted against Alex nor who else might have done so. And unless we have a public statement from those that did we never will know. Some people have their suspicions maybe. But that it was they are. Unlike card votes, elections are subject to secret ballot.
I know who voted against me - the delegate actually spoke to me afterwards to explain. He was instructed to do so by the President of the bodies he was casting votes on behalf of. I fell out with that individual in e-mail correspondence recently, because after the County Championship Controller refused to waive various fines his county incurred for defaulted boards, I supported the Controller's decision.

David wouldn't resort to something like that.

For one thing, how could he criticise decisions I make if I'm not in post to make any decisions in the first place? :P

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:55 pm

I can't sensibly delete my post but I'll withdraw the criticism of David Sedgwick in this specific regard.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:04 pm

my apologies for causing this confusion - at least David now knows when someone says "the arbiter" people think of him!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:07 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:46 pm
Out of interest, what was the result of the election that is bothering people here?
I mean have I missed something? Was this a close call?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Justin, no it was Alex's resounding but not unanimous appointment as Junior Director. I think we have established that the votes against were motivated by disputes arising from his previous post not a comment on his competence for the new one.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:13 pm

What I mean is, since it was resounding, if it wasn't unanimous so what? I'm completely baffled as to why people would be bothered.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:22 pm

It started as a small joke, got out of hand. Over now, time for bed.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:17 pm

As I hope will be the case - as with all tiffs arising from instinctive reactions going wrong.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:31 pm
I voted for [Alex] anyway like pretty much everyone except the arbiter he has annoyed.
J T Melsom wrote:
I can only find the Gambian Chief Arbiter listed in the voting register as representing Hastings. I struggle to think of a reason why that body should have any genuine objection to a new Junior Director ...
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm
If this is a case of voting against the same individual standing for another directorate purely out of spite (and I hope it isn't) I agree with you entirely.
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:50 pm
I know who voted against me - the delegate actually spoke to me afterwards to explain.
J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:55 pm
I can't sensibly delete my post but I'll withdraw the criticism of David Sedgwick in this specific regard.
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:04 pm
my apologies for causing this confusion - at least David now knows when someone says "the arbiter" people think of him!
I wouldn't normally divulge how I voted other than to the organisation which I was representing, but I feel the need to make an exception here.

I voted for Alex to become the Director of Junior Chess. I never had any intention of doing otherwise.

Alex and I have had worse spats on this Forum that the one which we had on Friday. It would have been very petty and small minded of me to vote against him beacause of that spat. I thank those who suggested that I might have done for withdrawing the suggestion.
Alex Holowczak wrote:
David wouldn't resort to something like that.
I am very grateful for that comment.
Alex Holowczak wrote:
For one thing, how could he criticise decisions I make if I'm not in post to make any decisions in the first place? :P
That, however, is not a valid argument. Even had you not continued to be an ECF Director, you would have remained active in chess administration both domestically and at FIDE level. I don't anticipate any difficulty in finding excuses to criticise you.

I wish you success as ECF Director of Junior Chess.