ECF FIDE Delegate

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ian Thompson

Re: ECF FIDE Delegate

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Based on what I have seen so far, neither candidate has convinced me I should support them (through lobbying my league delegates to vote for them). Does Council have the option of leaving the post vacant until a suitable candidate comes forward? Can a vote be cast for this option?

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Ian Thompson asked
Does Council have the option of leaving the post vacant until a suitable candidate comes forward? Can a vote be cast for this option?
Yes, Council does have this option. For each of the uncontested elections, there is a option of "Not this candidate". For President, Director of Home Chess and FIDE Delegate there is an option of "neither of the above candidates". For Non-Executive Directors there is an option of "None of the above candidates". This is clearly set out on the directed proxy voting form circulated with the Council papers, and will equally be available on the voting cards that will be made available those present at the meeting.

If not/neither/none receives the highest number of votes the chairman of the meeting is required to declare that the post remains vacant, and any appointment will become the responsibility of the new Board under Article 57.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:12 pm

Is there a database of County Reps and Congress Organisers held by the ECF? If so could Nigel be allowed access to it to contact them individually, by e-mail for preference where possible, but also by post or even by phone? It does seem a shame if he can't put his case to the chess world because he was so busy playing chess and out of the country for a lot of the time since he agreed to stand. I'm sure we have all had times where we were too rushed to read our e-mails.

Not all representatives will have made up their minds yet and they deserve to have as much information as possible.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:33 pm

I would like everyone to vote against Nigel Short as FIDE delegate. I will mention some of my reasons below.
Nigel Short has proven himself to be an arrogant, male chauvenist person.
Can I remind you of Nigel's speech upon the death of Tony Miles, where he claimed to have screwed the man's wife and was totally OTT. He has often said that women can't play chess and that even competing with men should be illegal!
Some in the NCCU say that FIDE have nothing to do with 98% of chess players and that Short can represent the 2% of elite players, please can you tell that to everyone who has lost a game by their phone ringing or being more than 0 minutes late!! Everyone who has claimed a draw on the 2 minute rule, or has to now play at a very specific time control has been affected by FIDE decisions made by delegates from federations!
The FIDE delegate MUST represent 100% of players and arbiters not just the elite players! Nigel's recent postings on the ECForum indicate that he is only willing to represent the elite.
Whilst Nigel has said he will not persue his "policy" of only one British body in FIDE, the other home nations view this with a degree of scepticism. Nigel's election could endanger events as varied as The British Championship and the Junior Team events such as The Glorney and Faber cup.
Now that the FIDE rating limit is down to 1200, their argument is even less convincing, if FIDE are to have their way all grading will be done internationally, England are just behind many other countries and the cost will be significantly more.
Nigel has strongly opposed repairing in tournaments, this is against the wishes of most players, simply protects his interests and may even prevent up and coming players from achieving title norms.
I will list many many other points against him if you wish. I want the NCCU and every other voter to vote against him, even if it means voting for neither candidate. This would be much more preferable to voting for Short.

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Thank you Lara Barnes. To deal with a few of your points below:

"Can I remind you of Nigel's speech upon the death of Tony Miles, where he claimed to have screwed the man's wife and was totally OTT."

No, in the Sunday Telegraph chess column (please note, not a speech) to which you apparently refer, I did not claim to have screwed his wife.

"He has often said that women can't play chess and that even competing with men should be illegal!"

I don't know where you get this rubbish, but I a) women can certainly play chess b) On the contrary, I am all in favour of them competing against men. Indeed, had it not been for my lengthy report to the Iranian Sports Minister in 2007, for example, women would still not be able to compete against men in that country.

"Some in the NCCU say that FIDE have nothing to do with 98% of chess players and that Short can represent the 2% of elite players, please can you tell that to everyone who has lost a game by their phone ringing or being more than 0 minutes late!! Everyone who has claimed a draw on the 2 minute rule, or has to now play at a very specific time control has been affected by FIDE decisions made by delegates from federations!"

I have already said elsewhere that FIDE decisions affect ALL chessplayers. However it is all true to say they disproportionately affect those who regularly play international chess and especially professionals.

" Nigel's recent postings on the ECForum indicate that he is only willing to represent the elite."

This is total nonsense.

" Whilst Nigel has said he will not persue his "policy" of only one British body in FIDE, the other home nations view this with a degree of scepticism. Nigel's election could endanger events as varied as The British Championship and the Junior Team events such as The Glorney and Faber cup.""

Again complete rubbish. I have no intention of interfering with these excellent long-standing events in which I have competed (except the Faber).

"Nigel has strongly opposed repairing in tournaments, this is against the wishes of most players, simply protects his interests and may even prevent up and coming players from achieving title norms."

Re-pairing is illegal according to the FIDE rules. I am surprised you don't know this as you claim to be an arbiter. I might add that it has never been the practice in most countries either. I think you will find that outside the British Isles, most people will view your opinions as bizarre.
Last edited by Nigel Short on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Lara, as an arbiter, isn't it possible that you will be present in an official capacity at an event in which Nigel Short might be playing? If so, given your opinions expressed above it's difficult to see how you could remain neutral.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:15 pm

David Lettington wrote:Lara, as an arbiter, isn't it possible that you will be present in an official capacity at an event in which Nigel Short might be playing? If so, given your opinions expressed above it's difficult to see how you could remain neutral.
Arbiters have strong opinions about players all the time. It doesn't stop them dealing with them fairly.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Nigel Short wrote: "Nigel has strongly opposed repairing in tournaments, this is against the wishes of most players, simply protects his interests and may even prevent up and coming players from achieving title norms."

Re-pairing is illegal according to the FIDE rules. I am surprised you don't know this as you claim to be an arbiter. I might add that it has never been the practice in most countries either. I think you will find that outside the British Isles, most people will view your opinions as bizarre.
Is this something that the FIDE delegate would have the power to change within Congress chess in England, though? Surely that responsibility would fall to the person in charge of Home Chess?

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Arbiters have strong opinions about players all the time. It doesn't stop them dealing with them fairly
It might if their opinions are so strong that they feel the need to air them publicly and very assertively.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Martin Regan wrote:Ian Thompson wrote
Does Council have the option of leaving the post vacant until a suitable candidate comes forward?
Ian,

Nigel has been the President of the Commonwealth Chess Association, has been a World Championship Challenger is a Grandmaster, has an established track record of challenging FIDE's wilder actions and appears to have the confidence of the bulk of our elite players - who are you actually waiting for to step forward with better qualifications?
I have no-one specific in mind.

I was aware that Nigel has been President of the Commonwealth Chess Association, but do not know what he did as a result of having this role, or whether or not he is thought to have done it well.

I don't think that playing ability is a qualification for an administrative role. If Nigel thinks it is, then he needs to explain why.

If Nigel has "an established track record of challenging FIDE's wilder actions" then what success has he had? He needs to tell us. If he doesn't then I will assume he hasn't achieved anything noteworthy.

Having the support of the bulk of our elite players does not mean Nigel would be a good FIDE delegate. How would he represent the best interests of English chess as a whole? There are over 20,000 English players who have played competitively in the last 3 years.

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:39 pm

There are over 20,000 English players who have played competitively in the last 3 years.
There are only 11702 players on the published ECF list, out of interest, where does 20,000 come from?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:46 pm

David Lettington wrote:
There are over 20,000 English players who have played competitively in the last 3 years.
There are only 11702 players on the published ECF list, out of interest, where does 20,000 come from?
The grading list issued to graders, which includes everyone who has played a graded game in the last 3 years. There are 24,119 names in it. Some of these will be foreigners and some entries will be duplicates. I'd be very surprised if there were more than 4,000 of these, so I think I am safe in saying over 20,000.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Incidentally, where in the FIDE rules are the regulations about re-pairing? I couldn't find them on a quick read-through, although I could easily have missed them.

(I have, incidentally, noticed that people from outside the UK tend to be reasonably happy about being re-paired, whether or not this is common practice in their native countries.)

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:51 pm

I have a couple of questions for Nigel first off will you be more open as to how you have voted in FIDE council as you previously stated Jerry was very secretive.

Which of FIDEs laws would you like to see overturned.
And finally which new rules if any would you like to propose.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:56 pm

How long is the period of office being voted on? If I had a vote I would probably vote for Nigel Short and if the appointment is only for one year I definitely would. The current Representative does not appear to have made any impact. It is possible that a FIDE rep for a small country like us is not able to make much impact. I don't know the set up so I can't come to any conclusion. Actions speak louder than words and here we have a 'super grandmaster' putting himself forward to have a go. So it seems a no-brainer to me. Let him have his chance then judge him on his performance after a period in office.