ECF FIDE Delegate

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Nigel Short

Re: ECF FIDE Delegate

Post by Nigel Short » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:18 am

I intend to use respected senior players as alternates, should it be necessary. For example, Michael Stean has already agreed to do this for me. I will be able to attend FIDE meetings in person, but not always, which is why I need cover.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:57 am

Hmmm, does anyone have personal (first hand) information as to what happened when the ECF decided upon its preferred candidate for the FIDE Presidential election? Was the Board unanimous? Why too did Makropolous suddenly appear at the Paragon Hotel in Birmingham in January 2006?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Hmmm, does anyone have personal (first hand) information as to what happened when the ECF decided upon its preferred candidate for the FIDE Presidential election? Was the Board unanimous? Why too did Makropolous suddenly appear at the Paragon Hotel in Birmingham in January 2006?
Maybe he was enticed by the following quote from the 4NCL site:

"The first weekend of the 2005/06 season saw Division 1, 2 and 3 play in the majestic setting of the Paragon Hotel, Digbeth (near Birmingham city centre)." http://www.4ncl.co.uk/press05-1.htm :lol: :shock:

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Nigel Short wrote:I intend to use respected senior players as alternates, should it be necessary. For example, Michael Stean has already agreed to do this for me. I will be able to attend FIDE meetings in person, but not always, which is why I need cover.
Thanks for this Nigel. I too had wondered about this and was about to ask the very same question. I assume that sending an alternate in your place is allowed, and that he can speak and vote on your behalf?

The other question I had is how do you intend to deal with the hypothetical situation of the ECF (board or council) instructing you to take an action (ie vote in a particular way and / or propose something to a meeting) which you do not personally agree with.

I should say that I ask as someone who fully believes that the current incumbent should not continue in post. Indeed, I voted for NS in 2006.

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:33 am

Assuming I am elected, if the ECF Board or Council instructs me to vote in a particular way then, of course, I will do it. That goes without saying. It is, after all, the ECF's vote - not mine.
David Anderton suggested to me that it would be very helpful if I found a trustworthy former player as an alternate. As a former ECF Delegate and a lawyer, he knows the FIDE regulations as well as anyone. I presume he would not have suggested this if it were not permitted.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:09 am

Nigel Short wrote:Assuming I am elected, if the ECF Board or Council instructs me to vote in a particular way then, of course, I will do it. That goes without saying. It is, after all, the ECF's vote - not mine.
David Anderton suggested to me that it would be very helpful if I found a trustworthy former player as an alternate. As a former ECF Delegate and a lawyer, he knows the FIDE regulations as well as anyone. I presume he would not have suggested this if it were not permitted.
Excellent stuff. I know which way I'm going to vote :D

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:53 pm

An updated list of my GM support so far:

1.Michael Adams
2.Keith Arkell
3.Stuart Conquest
4.John Emms
5.Glenn Flear
6.Stephen Gordon
7.Mark Hebden
8.Julian Hodsgon
9.David Howell
10.Gawain Jones
10.Raymond Keene
12.Jon Levitt
13.Neil McDonald
14.Luke McShane
15.David Norwood
16.Dr. John Nunn
17.Jonathan Parker
18.James Plaskett
19.Jonathan Speelman
20.Michael Stean
21.Aaron Summerscale
22..William Watson
23.Peter Wells
24.Simon Williams

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Do any of them have a vote? ;-) I have now passed my 3 proxies to Mike Gunn from the SCCU, and urge my supporter (s) to do the same!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:34 pm

No, Adam, of course, none of them have a vote. I am very well aware that, by itself, this list will do nothing. However, I was hoping that perhaps by demonstrating Gerry's total lack of support among the leading players of England, it might influence the floating voters or those who may have been unaware of the rampant dissatisfaction with Gerry's performance after a decade in the job. It is indirect campaigning, but I trust not completely pointless.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

I have been in Cornwall for a week and away from the internet - and such a lot of action on this thread. Nosher can be rude and abrasive - but he comes on here and defends himself. I have bumped into Nigel a few times - well actually he trod on my foot at the 4NCL.

I have never met Gerry Walsh - but I trust Ernie and Martin and they suggest he is now a waste of space in this role. So, I know where my vote (if I had one) would go.