Twice British Champion : Remembering Reginald Broadbent (03-viii-1906 29-x-1988)

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

Twice British Champion : Remembering Reginald Broadbent (03-viii-1906 29-x-1988)

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:13 am

Twice British Champion : Remembering Reginald Broadbent (03-viii-1906 29-x-1988) :D

His profession was recorded as "Telephone Traffic Superintendent, Class II, Post Office Telephones". If anyone can shed light on what this actually means I would be most grateful.

Anyway,

See https://britishchessnews.com/2020/10/29 ... 29-x-1988/

Almost no photographs of RJB appear to have survived (unless you know differently)
25734.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Twice British Champion : Remembering Reginald Broadbent (03-viii-1906 29-x-1988)

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:04 pm

He reached the rank of "Assistant Secretary", (used to be Grade 5), which is very senior, (not someone who makes tea for the typist). See

https://www.civilservant.org.uk/informa ... roles.html

Sir Humphrey explained it in "Yes, Minister"...

"Well briefly, sir, I am the Permanent Under Secretary of State, known as the Permanent Secretary. Woolley here is your Principal Private Secretary. I too have a Principal Private Secretary and he is the Principal Private Secretary to the Permanent Secretary. Directly responsible to me are ten Deputy Secretaries, 87 Under Secretaries and 219 Assistant Secretaries. Directly responsible to the Principal Private Secretaries are plain Private Secretaries, and the Prime Minister will be appointing two Parliamentary Under-Secretaries and you will be appointing your own Parliamentary Private Secretary."

In the context of my ex-department, the Head of the "Laboratory of the Government Chemist" ("The Government Chemist") was a Band 3, his Deputy was a Band 5. They had nice offices, and didn't do any chemistry, but might have done in their youth.

Ian Thompson

Re: Twice British Champion : Remembering Reginald Broadbent (03-viii-1906 29-x-1988)

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:17 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:04 pm
He reached the rank of "Assistant Secretary", (used to be Grade 5), which is very senior, (not someone who makes tea for the typist).
... or, in a rough comparison with the Armed Forces, for important things like the mess you were allowed to use, the class of travel you were entitled to and the standard of hotel you were allowed to stay in, it was the equivalent of a brigadier or (air) commodore.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:48 pm

A picture of a 'Broadbent Knight' I have no idea what this about. I picked it up from a link at chessgames.com

Picture here of RJB from the Battersea Chess Club Frank Parr Obit.
https://www.batterseachessclub.org.uk/f ... -obituary/

Their caption reads
Front row, left to right: R.G. Wade, F. Parr, W. Winter, R.F. Combe, C.H.O’D. Alexander, H. Golombek, G. Abrahams
Behind: G. Wood, R.J. Broadbent,

And from Edward Wintersite https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter39.html

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:48 pm

And from Edward Wintersite https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter39.html

Geoff,

You are treading on eggshells by reproducing one of EGWs scans. EGW believes he can copyright a scan of a pre-existing image and call it his own.

May the wrath of OGU await you... :lol:

I've been admonished and slapped-down in the Twittersphere for such actions.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi John,

Always thought it was OK as long as we acknowledge E.W's site (I gave a link) making no profit and it's not rare.

Years ago when first starting The Corner I used a picture of Janowski (seems me and EW have a soft spot for this great player)
and got a polite email (I'm not being sarcastic) asking me to acknowledge which I promptly did.
Think if someone nicks something without permission for profit then he has every right to complain . Here I think we are OK.

Guess we will soon find out.

(Carl/Jack if there is any come back then it's done in good faith. )

Anybody know what the picture of the Knights is all about. I got it from here.

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzi ... 4&reply=12

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:49 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:13 am
His profession was recorded as "Telephone Traffic Superintendent, Class II, Post Office Telephones". If anyone can shed light on what this actually means I would be most grateful.
This would have been a middle-management type of position (my father was one). About equivalent to HEO in the regular Civil Service, I think, although I can't seem to find much information on-line about historic GPO grades. Stephen Mann's biography has Broadbent reaching that level in his early thirties, which seems about right for someone with the potential to go several grades higher. Traffic, by the way, was the title of the GPO Telecommunications in-house journal. Every month Dad would bring home the latest copy and add it virtually unread to the growing pile on the sideboard, to my mother's mounting exasperation.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 pm

"About equivalent to HEO in the regular Civil Service, I think, although I can't seem to find much information on-line about historic GPO grades. Stephen Mann's biography has Broadbent reaching that level in his early thirties, which seems about right for someone with the potential to go several grades higher."

He would then have to go SEO, Principal (Grade 7), Senior Principal (Grade 6), then (Grade 5), so possibly it was nearer SEO? Of course, occasionally highly-thought-of people, went up two grades at once ("jump promotion").

(Note HEO = Higher Executive Officer, SEO = Senior Executive Officer)

The trouble is the grades varied between different parts of Civil Service (and related bodies) and titles kept changing.

Mike Alderson

Post by Mike Alderson » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:08 pm

Geoff - it's the Camaratta codex, one method of classifying the evolving styles of knights produced by Jaques of London in the earlier years of Staunton pattern chess sets.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 am

Mike Alderson wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:08 pm
Geoff - it's the Camaratta codex, one method of classifying the evolving styles of knights produced by Jaques of London in the earlier years of Staunton pattern chess sets.
See https://chessantiques.com/product-tag/camaratta-codex/ :D

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks lads,

I had honestly never heard of it. Also found this about Frank Camaratta

https://www.officialstaunton.com/pages/ ... he-maestro

If Reggie Broadbent has a Knight design named after him do you think I might a pawn named after me.

The Chandler Pawn (it disappears from the board after 5 moves.)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:50 am
The Chandler Pawn (it disappears from the board after 5 moves.)
Might there be an antipodean version?