https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... /632122475
I don't suppose the Russian student went on to become a famous chess player. I really shouldn't assume that the Russian would have been better at chess than the other people from other countries!!A Ghanaian student playing a Russian at chess at Student Movement House in Russell Square, London, 26th May 1933. Looking on are a Sinhalese and a French student. Student Movement House was a social centre, founded in 1917 in memory of students who died in World War I. At the time this photo was taken it was used by students representing fifty-seven nationalities. (Photo by A. R. Coster/Topical Press Agency/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
Student Movement House is still in existence today as International Students House:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... se,_London
I believe weekend chess congresses were held there as recently as the 1990s or 2000s (but might be confusing this with another venue). Can anyone confirm this and/or does anyone have memories of this place from its earlier years?