http://www.britishpathe.com/
This one is interesting : http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10637
as is http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=67676
and many more besides.
Hope this of interest!
The other snag, the person playing it castled by moving the rook first.John Saunders wrote:The snag is, it's not original. It's Anderssen-Schallopp, Berlin 1864...
1. e4 e5 2. f4 d5 3. Nf3 dxe4 4. Nxe5 Bd6 5. Bc4 Bxe5 6. fxe5 Qd4 7. Qe2 Qxe5 8. d4 Qxd4 9. Nc3 Nf6 10. Be3 Qd8 11. O-O h6 12. Bc5 Nbd7 13. Qxe4+ Nxe4 14.Bxf7# 1-0
I agree with Gerald but we are living in a highly pedantic age...[i]The Pan Book of Chess[/i] (1965) by Gerald Abrahams wrote:Pedantically, the king should be moved first. The movement of the Rook first might be considered a complete move... Since in Chess to "touch is to move", this is worth remembering, though few are pedantic enough to make an issue of the order in which once castles.
I was aware of this site and its makeover as well (earlier in the year), but hadn't got round to searching on it yet for chess-related material. If there is stuff on there that relates to ECF or BCF history, then even in these straitened times I think the ECF (or the Chess Centre in Hastings at least) should look into whether they can obtain copies for their archives (the material is sold commercially, so I'm not sure how they would treat archival copy requests). I am about to go through all the hits on "chess" (only 80 or so), and see if anything interesting pops up. Ditto for a search I did a few weeks ago of the Hulton Archive (managed by Getty) for photographs of chess players from years gone by. Some interesting photos came up there (though it is difficult to link to them).John Saunders wrote:That's a very recent rule. Nobody much cared which piece you picked up first a few decades ago...
I agree with Gerald but we are living in a highly pedantic age...[i]The Pan Book of Chess[/i] (1965) by Gerald Abrahams wrote:Pedantically, the king should be moved first. The movement of the Rook first might be considered a complete move... Since in Chess to "touch is to move", this is worth remembering, though few are pedantic enough to make an issue of the order in which once castles.
There's also some footage of Hastings 1969/70, with Smyslov, Gligoric, John Littlewood, Martyn Corden, David Levy, etc. I hope nobody's going to say somebody should have been defaulted because they were smoking, or were not seated at the board at the start time.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73469
I'm hoping this is a clip of Smyslov... (yes, it is, and a nice clip as well, with a bitter-sweet clip at the end of him playing chess with his adopted son [the son of his wife] Vladimir Selimanov - the reason this is bitter-sweet is that Selimanov tragically committed suicide, as covered in various news articles such as here).Alex Holowczak wrote:When do we get Carlsen singing and playing piano?: http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=66711
Presumably the Falaise Hall. I had to check who Corden's round 1 opponent was. The hair is a give away - Jan Timman. Other period details - Garde clocks in the Premier (of course) but BH Wood's recycled alarm clocks in the Christmas C. Oddly the clocks were set to midnight rather than 4 am. Perhaps the setting that the time control should be at 6 o'clock wasn't universal. I'd imagine all the pieces were wooden as well as that was marginally before the now ubiquitous plastic sets first appeared.John Saunders wrote:.
There's also some footage of Hastings 1969/70, with Smyslov, Gligoric, John Littlewood, Martyn Corden, David Levy, etc.
Would the Premier have been held in the same place as the side events back then? Of course in modern times they've almost always been separate, I think.Roger de Coverly wrote:Presumably the Falaise Hall. I had to check who Corden's round 1 opponent was. The hair is a give away - Jan Timman. Other period details - Garde clocks in the Premier (of course) but BH Wood's recycled alarm clocks in the Christmas C. Oddly the clocks were set to midnight rather than 4 am. Perhaps the setting that the time control should be at 6 o'clock wasn't universal. I'd imagine all the pieces were wooden as well as that was marginally before the now ubiquitous plastic sets first appeared.John Saunders wrote:.
There's also some footage of Hastings 1969/70, with Smyslov, Gligoric, John Littlewood, Martyn Corden, David Levy, etc.
(edit) the Gardes are set to 3.30 - the time rate would have been 40 moves in two and a half hours. People still got into time trouble though.
The last time I went (1995/6) it was on the pier. I don't know if that is where the Falaise Hall is (probably not), but I do know it moved from the pier several years ago and is now (as it says on the entry form I received with my ECF 2011 diary) in the "Horntye Park Sports Complex". I do have a vague memory from 1995/6 (and I think I went the following year as well) of the Masters event (or whatever the top event was called back then) being in a different area to where the other events were held. Some hotel up a hill near the pier. There are plenty of people reading these forums who will be able to give far more details than this, so I'll leave them to do that.Alex Holowczak wrote:A stupid question about the Hastings Congress: Obviously it's always been in Hastings, but has it been at the same venue in Hastings?
Basically noChristopher Kreuzer wrote:Alex Holowczak wrote:A stupid question about the Hastings Congress: Obviously it's always been in Hastings, but has it been at the same venue in Hastings?
Resourceful chessplayers may be, but they'd have been hard pressed to find a solution had the tournament been held on the pier for an extra year - from memory it was closed over the new year after being deemed too dangerous!Kevin Thurlow wrote:I stopped going to Hastings when they announced it would be on the pier, as I had inspected said pier and noticed that any indoor parts of it were cold and let the rain in, and I didn't fancy playing chess wearing three sweaters and a raincoat.
The White Rock venue was underneath the theatre and one player reported that he went to watch the panto and one of the cast invited the audience to stamp their feet so that the players could hear them. And Jeremy Beadle did me the great honour of treading on my foot as he walked past in the bar.
Just after I left the Queens Hotel one year, there was a massive snowstorm and the players were trapped, which unfortunately coincided with a failure of the heating. Chessplayers are very resourceful so they requested an axe from the hotelier, and chopped up the enormous Christmas tree in the foyer and sat round the fireplace in the lounge. The manager did a fantastic job ferrying players through the snow to various airports when the weather cleared a bit. He was a really nice guy, who had other problems - he recruited a restaurant manager just before Christmas, who was absolutely hopeless, rude and incompetent. The hotel manager said, "He should have been all right - his last job was on the Queen Mary." A friend of mine responded, "As Chief Stoker?" As soon as the tournament finished the restaurant manager was looking for other employment.
The Falaise certainly suffered from poor air circulation, (one player collapsed after a long game there) but at least it was warm.
This all sounds rather negative, but I did go for about 20 years so can't have been too bothered!