Page 1 of 1

The oldest

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 pm
by Hans Renette
A few days ago I read in an article in a Dutch newspaper of 1921 that Tarrasch was at that time the oldest active chess master in top regions. I wonder who his predecessors and successors were. Some people are easy to name: from 1879-1899 Bird was the oldest active master, the decade or two before him it was Anderssen. After Bird there were Blackburne, Winawer and Schallopp, I believe. Who else?

Re: The oldest

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 pm
by JustinHorton
If it's any help, I read through the names of invitees (and others) on the Wikipedia page for the 1851 London tournament and the oldest player listed appeared to be Alexander Petrov, born 1794.

Re: The oldest

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:57 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Of course both terms in "active master" raise their own questions about definition.