British Champions in Prison

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Chris Goodall

Re: British Champions in Prison

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:50 pm
and people had made detailed and credible allegations years before)
Detail is cheap. Carl Beech's allegations were detailed. If you were better than the police at spotting credible allegations, word would have gotten out and the police would have offered you a job.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:07 pm
If you were better than the police at spotting credible allegations, word would have gotten out and the police would have offered you a job.
I'm quite sure that is the last thing they would have considered doing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Detail is cheap. Carl Beech's allegations were detailed.
They were lurid, which is not the same thing.
Chris Goodall wrote:
If you were better than the police at spotting credible allegations, word would have gotten out and the police would have offered you a job.
I had not heard that the police were in the business of offering people a job on that basis, do you know something here that I do not?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Oh they love on line chess gossip. Your chances are much higher than you think. Just finger a few godfathers of the grandmaster underworld and they will come knocking soon.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:35 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Detail is cheap. Carl Beech's allegations were detailed.
They were lurid, which is not the same thing.
Indeed. And also detailed.
JustinHorton wrote:
Chris Goodall wrote:
I had not heard that the police were in the business of offering people a job on that basis, do you know something here that I do not?
What exactly do you think police officers are employed to do, if not to sort credible allegations from incredible ones?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 pm
What exactly do you think police officers are employed to do
A lot of people are wondering that. Certainly not to patrol the streets and put fear into criminals.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Chris Goodall wrote:
What exactly do you think police officers are employed to do, if not to sort credible allegations from incredible ones?
There is an offence of wasting police time, and perhaps there should be one of wasting other posters' time as well
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 pm
There is an offence of wasting police time, and perhaps there should be one of wasting other posters' time as well
If it becomes unbearable, I will let you know.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:23 am

Chris, there is a simpler mechanism: make the timewaster a 'foe' and the posts are hidden. Sadly they sometimes appear when other people requote them.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 pm
If it becomes unbearable, I will let you know.
You could dip into The Complete Chess Addict by poster Richard James and his former associate Mike Fox, as well as The Even More Complete Chess Addict, which I bought a few months back for the second time, having lost the original, and recently re-read. There are sections which deal with the topics of crimes, prisons and notorious criminals/chess lovers being banged up. John McVicar being an obvious example, but not of course, a former British Champion.