Status of Stalemate ?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

Status of Stalemate ?

Post by John Upham » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:01 pm

In another place I posed the following question :
Quiz question : Some light relief for a dreary October weekend : Who was responsible for introducing into English chess the notion that stalemate was a type of draw ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Tim Harding

Re: Status of Stalemate ?

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:15 am

John Upham wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:01 pm
In another place I posed the following question :
Quiz question : Some light relief for a dreary October weekend : Who was responsible for introducing into English chess the notion that stalemate was a type of draw ?
To name an individual responsible for English chess adopting the rule that stalemate is a draw could require much research into what was the usual practice in the country prior to Philidor.

The short answer to your question is Jacob Sarratt.

I feel confident in stating that Philidor's rule that stalemate was a win for the player who was stalemated was rejected by the London Chess Club when it was founded in 1807.
The question was discussed and the draw justified by Sarratt in his 1808 Treatise, volume 1, rule 24 on page 29: "If the King be stale-mate, the game is a drawn game." Sarratt discussed the previous practice at Parsloe's and said that in Turkey the player who stalemated the opponent won the game.

Sarratt's view gained acceptance but not immediately as the laws of the Manchester club a decade later still defended the Philidor rule.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:13 am

Indeed.

I picked this up from reading the entry for Jacob Henry Sarratt in Hooper and Whyld.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Once on NZ's version of Mastermind, doing the history of chess, I got a question on this very subject - I think it was something like "in England prior to 1807, what was the result of a stalemate?". Scored the point all right. My source for the knowledge was probably P W Sergeant's A Century Of British Chess.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)