The Anglo-American cable matches, help needed.

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Tim Harding

Re: The Anglo-American cable matches, help needed.

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 05, 2020 12:48 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:52 am
They do and as we know research is always an on-going project. Unfortunately the more reliant on material discovered on-line I become, the worse off I feel overall, as if something at hand is very wrong...maybe that's just me showing my age, and temporarily forgetting sites such as The British Newspaper Archives save us a great deal of time and money.
During an ongoing purge of old chess and family papers, I came across a photocopy of an article "When Parliament challenged Congress" by W. C. Kendal about the cable match played on 1 and 2 June 1897.
The article was published originally in the Christian Science Monitor and reprinted in B.H. Wood's Chess magazine no. 391/2 (August 26 1961).
If you don't have this article, supply your postal address to me in a PM and I will post it to you.
Please respond soon or it is going in the recycling bin!
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed May 27, 2020 10:22 am

From the Sunday Mirror - Sunday 07 November 1926, page 12

Sunday Mirror - Sunday 07 November 1926.png

and

Sunday Mirror - Sunday 11 November 1928 page 23

Sunday Mirror - Sunday 11 November 1928.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed May 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Great stuff from Gerard there. I'll impersonate Chris and ask if anyone can identify people in the pictures.

It looks like a young Tom Cruise in front of the bloke with a very long pipe in the second picture, but that must be a coincidence!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 pm

David Mills has kindly sent info as he reviewed the book, "“Albert Beauregard Hodges. The Man Chess Made”. published by McFarland & Co. in America.

Part of the review reads

"When residing in New York, Hodges was an active member and official of several chess clubs, facing the strongest American players of the era as well as many European masters who were touring or had taken up residency in the U.S.A.. Most memorably, he was the only player on either side to compete in all thirteen of the Anglo American Cable Matches, remaining unbeaten with 5 wins and 8 draws. (These contests receive extensive coverage, although there is less information about the final few matches in which the American teams did less well.)"

and he adds, "I recalled that there were large sections on the Anglo American Cable Matches and the index points to pages 176-182, (Chapter 7) 192-249 and 292. "