Israel Zilber

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
ben.graff

Israel Zilber

Post by ben.graff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 am

I am working on a piece at the moment, which touches on the life of Israel Zilber, the man who beat Tal two out of three. Israel was born in Latvia and moved first to Israel and then the US. He played at Hastings in 1979 and spent most of the 1980s as a homeless chess hustler in Washington Square. According to some accounts he froze to death. Others say that his death was never registered and that this might not be the case. (Albeit, were he still alive now he would be in his late eighties...) Israel was of course immortalised by Fred Waitzkin in Searching for Bobby Fischer.

I would be very interested if anyone was able to share any memories of Israel or had any information as to what happened to him. (Or could recommend other good source material.) I've obviously got his famous games against Tal and Seirawan and the general biog data that is readily available. I can't find any trace of him after the 1980s...
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Simon Brown

Re: Israel Zilber

Post by Simon Brown » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:20 am

Hi Ben, I played him in Paris in January 1980, and I'm pretty sure Andrew Martin did as well. Not sure if i still have the game. He was quite an unusual character and i can share some memories privately if you wish. Simon

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:46 am

Hi Simon, that would be fascinating thank you. My email
address is [email protected] Perhaps let me know via that what works best for you in terms of touching base.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 am

My book Play Better Chess includes a pic of Zilber in action at Hastings 1979.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:34 am

Hi Leonard, your book is one of my most treasured possessions. As a junior, I returned to it again and again. It really inspired my love of chess (no matter my limited ability!) It has pride of place on my desk now.

You actually have two photos of Israel in your wonderful book. The first on page 41 shows Israel deep in thought eyeing up an aggressively placed white queen on g3. The second on page 146 shows Israel wearing the same smart jacket in a caption with both Michael Stean and a young Nigel Short.

These photos were taken not all that long before Israel became a Washington Square regular. I wonder what his plan was at the time of the photograph? How did he intend his future to pan out?

Leonard, if you have any recollections you are able to share I would be fascinated to hear them. Either way it is great to have an opportunity to thank you for your book.
Ben Graff

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:57 pm

ben.graff wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 am
I can't find any trace of him after the 1980s...
I believe he appeared in Canada in the early 1980s where a street is named probably after him, in Ontario. Try looking up Maple Ontario, Israel Zilber Dr. I have about 3 games he played in Canada and in the Bundesliga during 80-82.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:23 pm

E Michael White wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:57 pm
where a street is named probably after him
Is there any particular reason to think this?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com