CHO'D Alexander : Drapery Manager ?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

Re: CHO'D Alexander : Drapery Manager ?

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks to Gerard and Stewart for their input.

I'm working my way through the manifest of the Alicantara and have found entries for Hugh, George and Stuart but not Baruch or Harry.

I hope to complete this work in the next day or so. I'll update with the results.

I'm guessing it would have taken 4-5 days to complete the crossing of the Atlantic in the 1930s.

It would be nice to obtain the manifest for the outward journey but that might be much trickier !
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:47 pm

Here is the passenger manifest for the outward journey to BA on board the Piriapolis :

http://www.ara.org.ar/chs/ajedrez/perla ... olise.html

Have fun spotting the chess players !
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:44 pm
I'm working my way through the manifest of the Alicantara and have found entries for Hugh, George and Stuart but not Baruch or Harry.
Wood and Golombek stayed on for a while in Argentina. At various times, both documented this in their writings

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:05 pm

From the 1939 Register For 60 Rodney House, Dolphin Square SW1

Register.png
Register.png (261.27 KiB) Viewed 968 times

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:49 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 pm
John Upham wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:44 pm
Wood and Golombek stayed on for a while in Argentina. At various times, both documented this in their writings
Actually, they crossed the River Plate and played the British-sponsored (?) Millington Drake tournament in Montevideo, Uruguay, 21-29 September, before returning to England. Vera Menchik also played. So presumably Rufus Stevenson travelled back with them. Alekhine won with 7/7. Skinner and Verhoeven's book on Alekhine says the tournament was held to raise funds for the Polish Red Cross.

With respect to Alexander at the John Lewis store, the National Chess Centre had been established there in 1938 (?), which had the sad consequence that many valuable chess records (including those of the City of London Chess Club) went up in flames when the Luftwaffe bombed the store.
Tim Harding
Historian and Kibitzer

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:59 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:49 am
With respect to Alexander at the John Lewis store, the National Chess Centre had been established there in 1938 (?), which had the sad consequence that many valuable chess records (including those of the City of London Chess Club) went up in flames when the Luftwaffe bombed the store.
The records of the SCCU were also destroyed, except for the then current Minute Book.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:46 pm

But trophies were more resilient.

Some of the SCCU ones were spotted in a pawn shop after the war and rescued.

The late Ted Isles won the 1939 London Boys CC. After the war he wandered into the 1945 or 46 event and found the organisers discussing what had happened to the trophy. He was able to explain tha it was on his mantelpiece. However, it was damaged by a bomb during the war.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:46 pm
Some of the SCCU [trophies] were spotted in a pawn shop after the war and rescued.
For a full history of SCCU trophies and their propensity to disappear, please see a fascinating article by the late Richard Haddrell at http://www.sccu-chess.com/archive/trophies.htm

My two personal favourites are the one which went missing before it had even been engraved and the one which was left behind after an Annual Council Meeting because it was mistaken for a beer pump.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:03 am

Totally irrelevant to chess, of course, but my interest is piqued by that Register entry immediately below the one for C H O'D. An unpaid domestic? Surely he could have given the poor woman (presumably an elder unmarried sister) some sort of pittance, however small?
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:57 am

"An unpaid domestic? "

Times have changed - they are probably referring to his wife (whose name was Enid...)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:26 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:57 am
Times have changed - they are probably referring to his wife (whose name was Enid...)
From wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conel_Hug ... _Alexander
From 1932, Alexander taught mathematics at Winchester, and married Enid Constance Crichton Neate (1900–1982) on 22 December 1934.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:12 am

To elaborate slightly, the census wanted to collect data on who lived where, and what they did. As married women rarely went out to paid work, (though obviously keeping a house running and looking after children is time-consuming and hard work), but the census had to say something.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:12 am
To elaborate slightly, the census wanted to collect data on who lived where, and what they did. As married women rarely went out to paid work, (though obviously keeping a house running and looking after children is time-consuming and hard work), but the census had to say something.
Why not just say "Housewife"?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:16 pm

It maybe wasn't the "in" term back then?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:42 pm

In 1939?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com