Who was L. Alexander?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Who was L. Alexander?

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:35 pm

I have now watched a short film, "The Battak of Sumatra (1929)", (on Youtube) which doesn't feature anyone playing chess. Some of the captions contain words which might make some people faint with horror these days. The captions are rather critical of the dance style of the Battak, (starts about 10 minutes in) which I think is harsh - the Battak were obviously many years ahead of their time.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:47 pm

The original image appears to be copyrighted.

A licence to use it on a blog will set you back at least £150!

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:55 pm

Richard James wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:25 pm
John Saunders wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:56 am
BCM promised more annotated games from this match in the June 1944 issue but, infuriatingly, that issue is missing from my collection. Can anyone else oblige?
The June 1944 issue published the L Alexander-Simonson and Hanauer-Mieses games, both annotated by Dr Aitken. Stockfish 12 is not very impressed with the annotations.
Many thanks for responding to my plea, Richard. Brian Denman also did so via email, so I must thank him too. Brian points out that the June BCM also referred to the match being played on 22 April, which was a Saturday and perhaps more likely to be the true date of the match.

Technical issue: for some reason the images Richard has displayed in this thread are not appearing on my screen whereas the ones Gerard has inserted in his posts are fine. Nobody else has mentioned a problem so maybe it's just me having the problem. Any ideas? I'm accessing the forum via a Chrome browser on a laptop running Windows.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:09 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:56 am

Technical issue: for some reason the images Richard has displayed in this thread are not appearing on my screen whereas the ones Gerard has inserted in his posts are fine. Nobody else has mentioned a problem so maybe it's just me having the problem. Any ideas? I'm accessing the forum via a Chrome browser on a laptop running Windows.
They work for me in Microsoft Edge, my usual browser, but not in Google Chrome. I'll try something different.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Ditto re the images in Richard's posts

Chrome on an Android phone FWIW
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Richard James wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:47 pm
The original image appears to be copyrighted.
Is it really, though? Copyright law is complex, so I don't know the answer. One source on US copyright law says that photographs published before 1976 are protected for 75 years, so this one would be out of copyright under that law. Another source on English copyright law says they are protected for 70 years after the death of the creator, so you'd have to know who took it and when they died to determine whether or not it was still in copyright.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 pm
"Surrey's interclub cup competition is called the Alexander Cup and is presumably named after either L or FFL Alexander."

FFL, it's stated in "50 Years of Battersea Chess" (assuming I remembered the title correctly.) I did inform one of your Surrey colleagues a few years ago, but he never acknowledged receipt.
Thanks, Kevin. You could even have told me as I remember the same question (identity of the Alexander in Surrey's Alexander Cup) being answered a few years ago. Anyway, here's an acknowledgement ...

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:59 pm

"Thanks, Kevin. You could even have told me as I remember the same question (identity of the Alexander in Surrey's Alexander Cup) being answered a few years ago. Anyway, here's an acknowledgement ..."

Thanks! I might have told you briefly, but it was someone else that I told in detail...

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:16 am

An impressive positional victory against a strong opponent, published, with annotations by Mieses, in the January 1944 BCM.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:10 pm

An L. Alexander game from the Aitken score books (book 2) by coincidence I was entering
this game into PGN format on Saturday roughly about the same time Gerald started this thread.
I know this because after entering this game I showered, shaved, masked up and went to work.
(thinking why bother shaving if I'm wearing a mask?)

Alexander plays the Cochrane Gambit. Aitken adds a ! after white's 19th move.

L. Alexander - J. Aitken, Oxford, 21.10.1933 (1-0)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:40 pm

I tried the Cochrane Gambit years ago, on a whim, and won a super game. I looked it up afterwards, learned that it lost by force and have been too frightened to play it since.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:17 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:40 pm
I tried the Cochrane Gambit years ago, on a whim, and won a super game. I looked it up afterwards, learned that it lost by force and have been too frightened to play it since.
Is that so? I thought the theoretical consensus was "slightly dodgy, but playable".

Of course if Black knows what they are doing White shouldn't expect more than a draw. If.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi Nick and Matt,

First time I played as White I lost, but that me going sac-happy not the opening.
Returned to it a few times and won some nice games.
I worked out a good Black trap. Here

Black plays 5...d5!? It's playable. You tempt White into going for qucik kill with a Queen sac.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:36 pm

Entirely coincidentally, I was researching the Cochrane Gambit this morning.

Cochrane's 5. Bc4+ is certainly unsound. The main line 5. d4 and 5. Nc3, the modern engine choice as well as that of Laurie Alexander, are both slightly dodgy but worth a punt in blitz games.

Laurie Alexander, whoever he was (and I haven't got much further), was clearly a man ahead of his time.

On move 19, Stockfish 12 replaces Aitken's ! with a ?, claiming that 19... Qg5+ was winning for Black. He seemed to miss a lot of tactics in his annotations.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:48 pm

I seem to remember Topalov playing it against Kramnik
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com