Obituary of Shamaria Diamond from 1949

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Obituary of Shamaria Diamond from 1949

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:24 am

Hi John,

No not them (I will not even mention the name.)

I ran a Games/Fantasy/Chess shop in Edinburgh for 8 years.

Why not sell 'them' Good Idea.

These things attracted a whole bunch of odd people who carried out rituals before buying a pack.
They would not touch an opened deck and asked if I ordered them in not to unpack them. They must do that!
Once I had to get an assistant who was given the money by a buyer to actually buy them in her name.
(something about you must not buy your own set. Some very strange people.)

Twice my windows were sprayed with large red Templar crosses because I had them in
the window and I would get strange phone calls telling me to take them away.

It was not a Goth or Pagan shop these place get targeted by radical Christians, mine was just a glorified toy shop.
I got rid of the lot and never went sold them again. Them things are bad luck and bad karma.

And I thought chess players were weird...

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Sorry to have ripped the plaster off that one, Geoff. Totally with you on avoiding any actual indulgence in occult practices.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:40 am

No problem John, it was just a funny (not funny ha-ha, funny as in odd-odd) and a wee bit worrying few weeks.
I'm not all that superstitious (maybe a little bit weird see below) but think it best not to tempt fate.
I suppose it's a bit like the 'Scottish Play' which actors do not mention.

I'm weird! On my tours of junk shops getting E-Bay and car boot fodder I often saw some good chess sets both in wood and plastic.
I decided to start collecting them to see if I get up to number 32 (I ended up with more than that.)

I always use the same set at home so they gathered dust but I did play over the Morphy Opera game on each
one after I bought it. Then it went back into it's box and never to come out again.

Then I decided what a waste, so started giving them away to friends and work colleagues who said their kids expressed
an interest in the game. Also dropped some behind the bar at the pubs I usually frequented. Have about six sets left.