The Aitken - Mieses Match (and my quandary)

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Geoff Chandler

The Aitken - Mieses Match (and my quandary)

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:31 pm

I came across this last night in 'Chess Explorations.'

‘It is not generally known that Aitken played a match with the veteran Mieses in 1947 which he won by 5½-1½.
In deference to the feelings of the old master the result was never published. I watched the second game, which
was played at the Ilford Chess Club; a collection was made at the time for the veteran.’ Harry Woolverton

Also here: ecret Chess Contests https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/secret.html

I have entered the games from AItken's book and made a comment to John that Mieses, as can be expected at that age (82),
did not come out of it too well, he lost 5½-½ and hopefully it was arranged to give the old lad some money. (this looks like the case.)

Mieses, is one of my four big 'M' heroes. Morphy, Marshall, Mieses (and my Mum) .

I am wondering should we leave them there at Britbase https://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/whatsnew.html
or gently remove the games. A decision appears to have been made in 1947 not to publish the games and now I feel like a rat.

I suppose cold hearted historians will choke at this display of sentiment and I too am on their side
it happened, the moves were made, so be it. (but why did it have to be me who grassed Mieses up!)

A flavour of the games. Here Mieses plays like he did in his youth, in fact did he not always play like this...
...a book waiting to written that one. 'Mieses: The Master that Never Grew up.' (is there a book of his games.)

He had a good game at one point, misplayed it, drifted, got tired and just hung a Rook.

J. Aitken - J. Mieses, Match 1947, Game 1

If the general consensus is yes take them out, I'm OK with that, but there again should we and what kind of precedent does it set.
(I now fully expect the ghost of Mieses to appear in my bedroom and pee in my slippers - I wish I'd never seen that Chess Note.)

Matt Mackenzie

Re: The Aitken - Mieses Match (and my quandary)

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:40 pm

If you are meant to be transcribing Aitken's games, then I would say it means just that - *all* his available encounters.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:12 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:31 pm
I ... made a comment to John that Mieses, as can be expected at that age (82),
did not come out of it too well, he lost 5½-½ and hopefully it was arranged to give the old lad some money. (this looks like the case.)
Bob Wade's appearance in the Staunton Memorial Tournament 2008, a few months before his death, was a more recent similar instance.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:03 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:12 pm
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:31 pm
I ... made a comment to John that Mieses, as can be expected at that age (82),
Bob Wade's appearance in the Staunton Memorial Tournament 2008, a few months before his death, was a more recent similar instance.
Must say that I found the "making history" hype around that at the time from the Penguin and his associates, more than a little naff.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:55 pm

It is history, so publish. Real chess enthusiasts will know Mieses was not as good as he used to be.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:35 am

Hi Kevin,

I'm sure they will stay and yes real chess players will take the age in consideration but it is needless comments
like you see about the aforementioned Bob Wade (and Larsen) here: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzi ... &reply=123
Which I know will surface. I'll have to walk away when I see them.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:46 am

"I'm sure they will stay and yes real chess players will take the age in consideration but it is needless comments
like you see about the aforementioned Bob Wade (and Larsen) here: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzi ... &reply=123
Which I know will surface. I'll have to walk away when I see them.

I agree Geoff - the internet abounds with trolls and morons, e.g. the ones watching live games on Chess24 and start screaming "BLUNDER" as Stockfish 1 has said -0.1 after 1 femtosecond... You have to try and ignore them, somehow. Anyway, didn't Bob draw with Fischer once?