What's wrong with the software?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Ian Thompson

Re: What's wrong with the software?

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:40 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:32 pm
If the cursor hovers over a pawn or piece, isn't that touch move?
No more than a hand hovering over a piece would be in an OTB game. You could argue, and I'm sure it would be easy to program, that clicking on a piece constitutes touching it.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:12 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:02 am
Kieseritzky, it is often said, had a rather tragic end to his life. Dying penniless in a charity hospital and given a pauper's grave? Poor old soul.
One of the first prominent chessplayers to end his days in that sad fashion, but certainly not the last.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Indeed, although this is something the modern super GM does not have to worry about much.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:40 pm
MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:32 pm
If the cursor hovers over a pawn or piece, isn't that touch move?
No more than a hand hovering over a piece would be in an OTB game. You could argue, and I'm sure it would be easy to program, that clicking on a piece constitutes touching it.
I don't think it would be fair to consider it touch move.
I don't play much online chess and when I was playing in the British Seniors a few weeks ago, I sometimes lost track of where my mouse cursor was and I found (after my previous move or because I accidentally moved it while the opponent was thinking) it was on a different piece than I expected.

I tried to train myself to shift the cursor right to a non-board area after each move but it didn't always behave.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 am

I don't think anyone would mind the cursor hovering over a piece. Clicking on it yes, moving it to a different square even more so.

edit : this discussion now has nothing whatsoever to do with the opening post ( Kevin to blame? ), but by chance still matches the title of the thread quite well.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:48 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:12 pm
MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:02 am
Kieseritzky, it is often said, had a rather tragic end to his life. Dying penniless in a charity hospital and given a pauper's grave? Poor old soul.
One of the first prominent chessplayers to end his days in that sad fashion, but certainly not the last.
A late night read shows Diggle has an interesting take on his life and character.
aaCapture.PNG
aa1Capture.PNG
aa2Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.