1979 Lloyds Bank Masters

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Saunders

Re: 1979 Lloyds Bank Masters

Post by John Saunders » Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:09 am
Thank you for that John. Is your coverage of the Lloyds Bank Masters mostly or nearly complete now?
Regarding Lloyds Bank Masters coverage on BritBase: there's still some considerable way to go in terms of presenting crosstables and other info, particularly of the later tournaments which had much bigger entries. My attention is currently on the Aitken project and I'm off to Gib tomorrow to report on the forthcoming FIDE Women's Grand Prix event being held there. It remains a work in progress.
not a mummy’s wrappings from the British Museum
(what is the story there?)
The 'mummy's wrapping' comment is just a jocular reference to the tournament venue (the Ivanhoe Hotel) being near the British Museum.
Some of the names are less familiar to me (Clive Hill, Michael Ashley Pagden). I wonder if anyone reading this has any anecdotes about the tournament to add to what is already published about this tournament?
Michael Pagden was a strong player back in the day but seems to have long since given up competitive chess. He played for Cambridge in the 1979, 1980 and 1981 Varsity matches. I've been at pains to spell out his full name (Michael Ashley Pagden) as many sources (including FIDE's rating list) still have him as Mark A Pagden which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Clive Hill I think still plays, or at least I think I've seen his name relatively recently. The grading list suggests he last played in 2018.

I wanted to get this particular tournament sorted out and on BritBase as I knew Murray Chandler was reaching this point in his Facebook autobiography. He's now posted two items on this tournament, here and here. Both well worth reading.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Wed May 19, 2021 1:52 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:27 am
Nice photos as well. Wonder if the demonstration board kid watching Haik playing Botterill in the final round carried on playing chess?
Is it Neil Carr?
Neil Carr had fair hair. He would probably at age 11 have been on my invitation list for Lloyds Bank junior scholarships to the Masters. I had a high opinion of him then, as evidenced by my notes to the team which played against Spassky earlier in 1979, where I called him, with some hyperbole, world's best 10-year-old. My memory suggests that Neil rarely played Lloyds Bank due to family holidays. I can't identify the boy in the photo.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 19, 2021 4:23 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:27 am
Is it Neil Carr?
Leonard Barden wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:52 pm
Neil Carr had fair hair.
I am notoriously bad at identifying people in old photographs, but I concur with Leonard that that boy is not Neil Carr.

John Saunders wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm
I'm off to Gib tomorrow to report on the forthcoming FIDE Women's Grand Prix event being held there.
Lucky you. Have a good trip.

Please give my regards to our mutual friends and colleagues on the Rock.