Page 1 of 1
Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:12 pm
by David Sedgwick
Please see below for the match result sheet of Yorkshire v Middlesex in the 1936 Counties Championship Semi-Finals. It was unearthed by Rupert Jones in the Leeds Chess Club archives.
Please note that Middlesex won 8-4. On Board 1 H E Atkins and W Winter drew.
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm
by Leonard Barden
Could you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:37 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Board 2, AY Green (Supply) vs EG Sergeant (Inland Revenue) is an all Civil Service clash (although it might not have been then). Green later worked for Board of Trade and then Ministry of Aviation.
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:28 am
by David Sedgwick
Leonard Barden wrote: ↑Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm
Could you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.
My copy isn't any clearer than the one in the attachment. I'll ask Rupert Jones, who has the original.
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:06 am
by Gerard Killoran
Leonard Barden wrote: ↑Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm
Could you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.

- Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 12 October 1936 p2.png (409.57 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:16 am
by Leonard Barden
Thanks for that.
I knew at least six of that Middlesex team. Was D I Croker, who I''ve never heard of, a relative of Eric Croker?
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:44 pm
by Gerard Killoran
Leonard Barden wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:16 am
Thanks for that.
I knew at least six of that Middlesex team. Was D I Croker, who I''ve never heard of, a relative of Eric Croker?
Identified by Britbase (BCF 1935) as Douglas Ian Croker of London.

- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar.png (176.85 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:15 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
I didn't spot it was "J" Bronowski, (also CS) but now realise, that the hand-written version was saying "Dr".
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:31 pm
by John Townsend
Leonard, I have deduced, making use of Gerard's gen, that the two Crokers were not brothers or half-brothers, so the closest they could be is uncle/nephew or cousins.
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:36 pm
by Leonard Barden
Thanks, Gerard and John. Good research!
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:53 pm
by Gerard Killoran
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:31 pm
by John Saunders
Thanks, Gerard. I'd already collected that one - it was in The Times, 12 October 1936, page 8.