Alan Charlton

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Neil Graham

Alan Charlton

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:57 am

We have a gentleman decorating at the moment. In conversation he advised that he is related to Alan Charlton who was a career diplomat (now retired) who amongst other posts was the British Ambassador to Brazil (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Charlton_(diplomat)).

I remember Alan Charlton from my youth when he played for Nottingham High School. I see he played in the British Championships in Rhyl in 1969 where he played in the Under 18 Championship finishing with 5.5/11 in a tournament won by Clive Cubitt a point ahead of Miles & Nunn amongst others.

I wondered if there is anything else known about Alan's chess playing career or any games?

Michael Farthing

Re: Alan Charlton

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:10 pm

Alan has made one post on this forum.

The earliest games I have for him are three from 25 Feb 1966 where he was playing a much weaker opponent (one M Farthing). Rather amazingly, and it has come as a surprise to me to discover this today, he scored only 1/2 out of 3 - must have been a seriously bad day for him. On 9 August 1966 he drew with black against R Bailey in the British u14 boys In a later round there is a score for him as white winning against P D Alder. I also know he played Robert Bellin in one round which went to adjournment, which the Nottingham contingent watched with nail biting excitement as Bellin, though winning, was short of time. After losing Alan commented to us, "No, he (Bellin) knew exactly how much time he had and that it was sufficient". It seemed typical of his calm assessments and acceptance of others - someone made to be a diplomat.

After another year of several hundred games played on a pocket set in the school playground he was back at Oxford in 1967 in the u18s, though with less success. At that tournament our coach was a certain B. Eley, though rather than intense chess tuition the evenings were spent in playing bridge. We cut for partners and amazingly Alan (the best at bridge apart from Eley) consistently seemed to be paired with Eley. We had some amazingly interesting hands during the fortnight and on the last night I remember Eley dealing 4 cards from the top of the pack and, apparently at random, topped them with 4 more from within the pack. Turning them over he revealed 4 pairs and advised us in future to be more careful about who we played with.

I changed schools at this point but attended the 1968 championships, but I see that although others of my Nottingham friends were there, Alan seems to have missed that year.

After he retired as a diplomat I did suggest to him that he should return to chess, but regrettably I do not think that he has.