Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Ingrid Ives

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 am

Thank you all for your comments. I’m posting with no real idea of what’s of particular interest, so the feedback is great.

My parents would have been delighted to know that this material is being so well received by the chess community. My father lived for his beloved chess and I think Mum thought if he was going to spend so much time on it, she might as well join in. The rest is history…..

Thank you for making me feel so welcome here. I had no idea what to expect as a chess numpty. I remember that Mum tried to teach me to play once, but she didn’t really have the time. She had been left with three very young children when my father Ronnie died at 40 years old. I’m sure we were more than a handful and that in terms of available time, teaching us chess would have been a luxury.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:57 pm

Chess Club
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:18 pm

I’ve just found this. I’m surprised that this magazine was still being printed during the war.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Chess Club

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:32 pm

Chess Club

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:40 pm

Chess Club

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:49 pm

Memorabilia

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:37 pm

It seems that Ray Edwards played my father. Ray is described in one of his columns (see attached) as a “20 year old Leeds University accountancy student”.

I haven’t been through all my Dad’s chess columns as there are so many. I just noticed these three as I posted them recently.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:50 am

Some entries from my father’s handwritten score sheets.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:59 am

Ingrid Ives wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:50 am
I think these would have been postal games.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:54 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:59 am
Ingrid Ives wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:50 am
I think these would have been postal games.
Yes, I think so.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Mon May 01, 2023 6:03 pm

I've now digitised most of the games from the Yorkshire Evening Post press cuttings and Ronald Ives scorebooks which Ingrid has posted here so far and present them here in a games viewer... there are 35 of them in total. (The first one appears in the window - if you want to view one of the other 34, click where you see the three dots above the board window.)

I've also added a couple of them to the relevant BritBase files. (Go to the BritBase 'What's New' page to check them out.)

I've not been able to date all the games precisely but the estimated dates won't be out by more than a year or so.

Last but not least, a big thank you to Ingrid for posting all this fascinating material.

EDITED the DP Bonner game - the appended comment we now think was made by Bonner and not Ronnie Ives - JS
Last edited by John Saunders on Wed May 03, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 01, 2023 7:40 pm

"Last but not least, a big thank you to Ingrid for posting all this fascinating material."

Yes. Also confirmation that the games labelled "PCC" are from BH Wood's "Postal Chess Club".

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Mon May 01, 2023 8:17 pm

John, thank you very, very much for all your hard work. My only regret is not having thought about posting here before, when Mum was still alive. She would have been absolutely over the moon to see all this. For years and years, all of Dad's 'Chess Club' columns were loose in a folder and she kept saying they should be in an album so one Christmas, I put them all together into three albums for her. The only snag was that they were not dated so the sequence only worked when the 'Chess Club' columns themselves were numbered. Before and after that, they're in a totally random sequence.

I'm glad you explained how the games viewer works! Obviously the games don't mean much to me but I'm enjoying looking at them nevertheless, and seeing my father's notations and comments from back in the 50s and 60s come to life. This has been an amazing experience for me. I have a few more 'Chess Club' columns that I've picked out to post and after that, I'll loan my collection to you for you to browse at your leisure. Your expert eye to pick out anything of importance will be much more efficient than my guesswork! Please feel free to post or publish anything of my father's that you see fit.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 7:40 pm
"Last but not least, a big thank you to Ingrid for posting all this fascinating material."

Yes. Also confirmation that the games labelled "PCC" are from BH Wood's "Postal Chess Club".
Kevin, does this mean that BH Woods organised the club? Was it an annual event, and how would one qualify for it?