Page 1 of 3

Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:25 pm
by Chris Rice
Can hardly believe it’s 50 years since Fischer and Spassky played the Match of the Century right here in Reykjavik in 1972 where I'm currently playing. It’s the reason I got into chess in the first place. To commemorate the towering legacy of this match an exhibition was established at the hotel where Fischer stayed during the event, Hotel Loftleidir, now Reykjavik Natura- Berjaya. The installation features an array of memorabilia; chess board, posters, photographs and the hotel as a historic chess venue.

Image

Image

Image

Here is one of the tables that were built for the match and signed by both Spassky and Fischer

Image

Image

Image

Image

A Garde clock (takes you back doesn't it?) and some official tickets:

Image

The email sent by Spassky on the death of Fischer "My brother is dead"

Image

Spassky's epitaph for Fischer's Memorial Service:

Image

The Reykjavik Open used to be based in this hotel as well:

Image

The menu for the banquet after the match though Fischer was more interested in analysing the games on his pocket set with Spassky:

Image

The wine at the banquet was described as Viking Blood cooled with ice from a volcano.

Image

Fischer's letter to confirm Icelandic citizenship:

Image

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:04 pm
by John Upham
Thanks for posting these fascinating images.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:25 pm
by Nick Ivell
This brings back such sweet memories. What a match it was - we will not see its like again.

My interest in chess was actually sparked by the Fischer v Petrosian match - I remember the Sunday Times reporting on it. It was already clear that Fischer was the best player in the world.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:43 pm
by MJMcCready
Was it? Spassky had taken apart Fischer's Gruenfeld the last time they met before the match. For sure Fischer was on fire leading up to the match but he still had points to prove I thought.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:52 pm
by Nick Ivell
Point taken.

To me it was pretty clear that Fischer was trying too hard to win at Siegen. He pretty much outplayed Spassky and could easily have taken a draw. It was his besetting sin; play through his games at Santiago and there are many examples.

By 1971 he had become more objective and his play improved.

Having said that, I don't feel that we saw the best of Spassky in the 1972 match. I think he was put off by the off the board palaver.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:58 pm
by Nick Ivell
On reflection, Buenos Aires 1960 makes my point better.

The loss to Eliskases was pathetic. All objectivity thrown out of the window.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:09 pm
by MJMcCready
Nick Ivell wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:52 pm
Point taken.

To me it was pretty clear that Fischer was trying too hard to win at Siegen. He pretty much outplayed Spassky and could easily have taken a draw. It was his besetting sin; play through his games at Santiago and there are many examples.

By 1971 he had become more objective and his play improved.

Having said that, I don't feel that we saw the best of Spassky in the 1972 match. I think he was put off by the off the board palaver.
Oh he was put off massively and was far from his best. Perhaps the pressure was too much or something.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:16 pm
by Nick Ivell
I still think Bobby was stronger in 1972. Boris had become a bit lazy. And it became clear in 1974 that Karpov had overtaken him.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:25 pm
by MJMcCready
Think so yes.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:11 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Spassky had a very impressive "rebound" win in the 1973 USSR Championship (one of *the* strongest tournaments ever held)

This maybe made him a bit complacent about the potential threat Karpov posed.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 pm
by Chris Rice
I have a few more images from earlier, Kasparov visited the exhibition and left some compliments:

Image

Fischer was buried in a small churchyard in Selfoss, he is the only person buried there. It's traditional for players at the Reykjavik Open each year to go and visit the grave as part of their Golden Circle tour and leave chess pieces at the grave site:

Image

Fischer never wanted to be buried in Reykjavik itself but I think there is a monument to him there anyway. (I am not at all sure of my facts here so please feel free to correct this if necessary):

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

A commemorative poem for Fischer after his death:

Image

The final photo is a iconic picture of Fischer taken during the match:

Image

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:02 pm
by MJMcCready
It's a picture of a man with a very unsound mind which ruined his life pretty much.

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:17 pm
by Chris Rice
“There is no great genius without some touch of madness” - Aristotle

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:26 pm
by Nick Ivell
A genius for sure. Can I mention some of his weaknesses?

Materialism
Narrow repertoire
Trying too hard to win
Irrational positions
Preferring bishops to knights nearly all the time

I speak as a fan. The weaknesses I list are to do with chess; don't get me started on the politics!

Re: Fischer-Spassky - 50th Anniversary Exhibition

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:42 pm
by MJMcCready
Never found him remotely interesting or entertaining, along with every other western chess player that's ever lived. I grew up liking Soviet players, and that's still pretty much the case. I always thought the amount of attention Fischer got was very unhealthy, given the seriousness of his own misgivings and impetuous demands, and totally over the top -but then the press will have a field day if you give them half a chance, as long as it sells of course.