Page 1 of 1

Inspector Baboon

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:36 am
by John Upham
Assuming our Wokingham correspondent knows the answer....

Which book has an attribution as follows:

"To LAOC, Inspector Baboon of the Yard,
and WOZH"

and what does this all mean?

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:29 pm
by David McAlister
The King's Indian Defence by Barden, Hartston and Keene. Not being from Wokingham, I am unable to assist your enquiries as to what it all means.

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:14 pm
by John Upham
Yes, you have identified the correct book.

I'm guessing the attribution was written by WRH but I may ask Leonard and Ray. WRH is more tricky to make contact with.

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:07 pm
by Roland Kensdale
Suspect some kind of in-joke.

I see Kevin O'Connell (is this LAOC?) and Jana Hartston (WOZH?) are thanked.

Inspector Baboon features in a Monty Python sketch.

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:59 pm
by John Upham
I've not found a Monty Python sketch including or referencing Inspector Baboon: can anyone help?

However, apparently

Inspector Baboon is a baboon superhero and part of The Secret Society of Super-Simians. He dresses up like a detective.

and is something to do with The Simpsons.

The Simpsons commenced on December 17, 1989 which is around 20 years too recent to tie-up with the KID tome.

Of course, we have diverted from Chess History somewhat.

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:08 am
by Roger de Coverly
John Upham wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:59 pm
I've not found a Monty Python sketch including or referencing Inspector Baboon: can anyone help?
The third season according to Google.

The first edition of "Kings Indian Defence" came out in 1969, predating Python. Is the dedication in the Second Edition?

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:55 am
by John Upham
Roger de Coverly wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:08 am
John Upham wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:59 pm
I've not found a Monty Python sketch including or referencing Inspector Baboon: can anyone help?
The third season according to Google.
Can you post here the reference to the Google mention please Roger? I have failed miserably. I downloaded all of the third season scripts and went through each one to no avail.

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:31 am
by Roger de Coverly
John Upham wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:55 am

Can you post here the reference to the Google mention please Roger?
Try https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0650997/fullcredits/cast

Eric Idle credited as Inspector Baboon in "The Money Programme".

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:49 am
by Colin Purdon
"Inspector Baboon of Scotland Yard's Special Fraud Film Director Squad, Jungle Division", no less.

Re: Inspector Baboon

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:59 am
by John Upham
Colin Purdon wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:49 am
"Inspector Baboon of Scotland Yard's Special Fraud Film Director Squad, Jungle Division", no less.
Here we go:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3d5n4p

at around 18' 20" in

From Season 3, Episode 3.

we got there in the end!