Peter E Hammerton, 1966 Kent Individual Champion

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Andrew Craig

Peter E Hammerton, 1966 Kent Individual Champion

Post by Andrew Craig » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:04 pm

Hello,

I've been working on a couple of projects for Kent Chess, one of which is trying to tie previous winners of the Individual Trophy (dating back to 1899!) to the club they were affiliated with

Of the last few players I'm struggling with - one is that of Peter Edward Hammerton, Kent Individual Champion in 1966.

He doesn't seem to crop up in grading lists immediately prior or thereafter, though as these only went to around the 185 mark he may have been a little weaker. As of 1961 he was playing around board 20-25 for Kent - and in that more comprehensive list he is not listed (neither are players playing a few boards higher).
The SCCU grading list of 1970 doesn't include him suggesting he potentially relocated or was not longer playing competitively at that point.

Any recollections greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Andrew

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: Peter E Hammerton, 1966 Kent Individual Champion

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:05 pm

A search on ancestry suggests that he was born in Kent (Dover?) on the 2nd October, 1933 and his death was registered in Norwich in 2003. He seems to have married in Newmarket (Suffolk) in 1988. There's also a few pictures of him, but I'm not sure if I should copy them from there and post them here.

A blog post here: https://mentalistblogger.com/corinda/ says that Pete Hammerton had an interest in magic and puzzles (and also that his mother was a spiritualist medium).

The British Go Association has Peter Hammerton listed as a 7 kyu which seems to be "intermediate amateur" level.

Andrew Craig

Post by Andrew Craig » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:20 am

Thx Jon.
I agree that Peter hails from Dover, and it might be that I need to consider he was affiliated with a club in the area around that time. I'll need to check the ECF yearbook to see which clubs were in existence at that point.
Thank you for the link.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:08 pm

Another source of information may be the SCCU Bulletins of the 1960s. Browsing the November 1965 edition for example, there's a P Hammerton playing on board 27 against Surrey.

The bulletin did sometimes report on individual championships as well as county matches.

https://www.sccu-chess.com/bulletins/SC ... 965_48.pdf