Hans Peter Rickman

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Gerard Killoran

Hans Peter Rickman

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:30 pm

While searching for early games by P. C Gibbs I came across this example, with the following remark:
The following game between P. C. Gibbs (Bradford) and Dr. H. P. Rickman (York) was entered for the I. M. Brown Brilliancy Prize, and described by the adjudicators as the best played game entered.

Which led me to https://philosophynow.org/issues/102/Pe ... _1918-2014
For recreation Rickman enjoyed playing chess. I never saw him lose a game, and by all accounts in his younger years he used to be a Yorkshire champion.
Rickman did play top board for York in the early Fifties, but was never Yorkshire Champion.

The game was probably played in a Woodhouse Cup match, which could have taken place in 1952.

John Saunders

Re: Hans Peter Rickman

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:35 pm

Thanks, Gerard. Coincidentally, I went down exactly the same research path when I came across another of Rickman's games in one of Ronnie Ives' Yorkshire Evening Post columns a few weeks ago...

Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:59 am

Clearly a strong club player, and a pity he didn't play more serious chess.

On the flimsy basis of just two games, he also seems to have had an aggressive attitude to playing with the black pieces.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:22 pm

I remembered the name from when I was posting here about my father, Ronnie Ives, so I had a quick look on my thread and found the attached. Dr Rickman is mentioned in the Woodhouse Cup score tables at the bottom. Would this be 1958 or 1959? Anyway, my father was a contemporary of his and also playing in Yorkshire so I would imagine there are other mentions in his YEP chess columns of which there are dozens still to go through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:56 pm

Ingrid Ives wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:22 pm
Would this be 1958 or 1959?
The column must have been written in November or December 1958. It refers to the qualifying tournaments for the 1959 British Championship and goes on to say that players are playing for places in the championship "next year".

The schedule for the qualifying tournaments was that they started in September/October of one year and were finished by April/May of the following year, giving the winners places in the British Championship taking place in August later that year.