Page 1 of 1

HCA Bulletin

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:01 pm
by GrahamStuart
From 1961 to 1973 a Hampshire Chess Association Bulletin was produced, first by JEC Grant and then George Kilmister, who then went on to produce the Westward Ho! magazines for the West of England Chess Association.

The HCA Bulletin detailed the chess activities in Hampshire, including the county matches, individual championships, Hampshire Chess league and local Southampton and Portsmouth leagues.

In total 51 editions were produced and I have scanned the copies from the Hampshire Chess Archives and made available on the Hampshire Chess History website, along with other ad-hoc publications.

https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/ham ... lications/

If you played chess in Hampshire, or against Hampshire you may be interested in reading these Bulletins? I noticed that these did include additional SCCU county chess information which may have been passed over from the larger SCCU Bulletins.

Re: HCA Bulletin

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:54 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Wow. Well done, I will look at all of them, but it might take a while.

Re: HCA Bulletin

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:03 am
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
On page 4 of the "Chilworth Review Magazine Sept 1983" I noticed a certain C. Hibbard playing for the Staffordshire under 18 team. I wasn't even close to making the Hampshire team - their bottom board, Keith Walker, outgraded me by 32.

Re: HCA Bulletin

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:32 am
by GrahamStuart
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:03 am
On page 4 of the "Chilworth Review Magazine Sept 1983" I noticed a certain C. Hibbard playing for the Staffordshire under 18 team. I wasn't even close to making the Hampshire team - their bottom board, Keith Walker, outgraded me by 32.
That was a particularly strong Hampshire Junior team with one future GM and FM as well as 4 times Hampshire Individual Chess Champion Dominic Tunks.

A great achievement by junior organisers Terry Hollington and Pat McEvoy to win the U18 National Championship.

Re: HCA Bulletin

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:46 am
by Geoff Chandler
This is a smashing piece of work. I enjoy looking at these old magazine/pamphlets. If someone said here is a 2023 NIC or CHESS/BCM from 1966 what do you want? I'd knock back the 2023 NIC right away.

Here; https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/wp- ... n-No-2.pdf

in 'The Match Captain's Report' Younger players are refusing to accept their teams captain choice of board order and in some cases refusing to play.

Re: HCA Bulletin

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:03 am
by Mark Howitt
Yep I'd prob go for an early 2000s one...