Page 1 of 1

Mystery Blackburne game

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:43 pm
by Tim Harding
While browsing in the English Chess Federation library at DMU Leicester last week, I came across the following.

I wonder can anybody identify the name of the opponent, and/or date, occasion of play and original publication.

The winning sequence is left to readers to work out for themselves.


Re: Mystery Blackburne game

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:55 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Sadly for fans of the Streatham and Brixton blog's series, it is not actually the Worst Move On The Board; 7...Be7, 7...Bd6 and 7...d6 would all allow mate in two.

Re: Mystery Blackburne game

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:19 pm
by Geoff Chandler
Sorry Tim, no help here. I merged all the miniatures I could lay my hands into one DB years ago
(and now added this one! so it by no means at complete.)

I even searched just for the bones.


Just in case it was a Queens Rook or Queen's Knight odds game. Sometimes these old odds games slip through as normal games.

A coincidence here is Jack mentioning 'The Streatham and Brixton blog' and one of their columns http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... -days.html
features the Empire Social Chess Club and has a picture of the magazine you appear to have been looking at.

Image