Deceased Clubs
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:10 pm
Does anyone know why the clubs at Islington and Hampstead folded? Why did such powerful organisations go into decline?
Dr Adrian Harvey
Dr Adrian Harvey
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://www.ecforum.org.uk/
Although you've advised caution, you must know this is imprecise. The 1949 British Championship was run under the Swiss system and, for all I know, earlier tournaments may have used the Swiss system (does anyone happen to know?).Simon Spivack wrote:I am writing this from memory, caution is required.
...
Stewart Reuben was very prominent in the running of Islington. He introduced the concept of a swiss tournament, in the form of the Islington Chess Congress, to British chess. He is also a forum member and may be able to correct any errors of mine and possibly shed more light.
I think he certainly introduced the non-bank holiday concept. There were Bank Holiday weekend congresses in the mid sixties, for example Southend at Easter, Ilford at Whitsun and Marlow at the August Bank Holiday. These used five, six or seven rounds with adjournments. Some of the sections at these events were all play all or a Swiss with a small number of participants.John Saunders wrote:It would be good to define precisely what Stewart did introduce - my feeling is that Stewart's actual innovation was to start running weekenders on non-bank holiday weekends (i.e. fitting the games into Friday-Sunday, without recourse to a Bank Holiday Monday). "What does the team think?"
At the risk of kicking off a debate, I think paying professionals to play in what are predominantly amateur evening leagues can drive away both average club woodpushers such as myself (grade 181), and the organisers, who often come from the ranks of the players of my standard. Hampstead were a good club which was one of the first to pay GMs to play for them in the London League about twenty years ago. After a while, a lot of Hampstead's middle and lower board players left the club, as they were not getting the opportunity to play in Division One of the London League. As I understand it, the individual funding the team then became seriously ill and had to give up his support; but then there was no base on which to fall back, nor any willing organiser.Another theory advanced for the decline of Hampstead was that one of their match captains started paying professionals. The argument being that this drove away long standing members. I am not so convinced by that, my belief is that the decline was more a lack of good organisers; when the sponsor withdrew his support, he left a hole.
To me a strong player is someone of IM strength (approximately 220 ECF) or above. In the past, the mean grade for active players was in the 130s. Thus I consider Martin, who normally plays less than thirty games a season, to be well above the average. As one would expect of one of the formidable Benjamin brothers.Martin Benjamin wrote: At the risk of kicking off a debate, I think paying professionals to play in what are predominantly amateur evening leagues can drive away both average club woodpushers such as myself (grade 181),
As a former club secretary, I have to differ from Martin here. Typically, a captain would play in his own team and be of roughly equivalent strength to his players. Thus I don't accept second, third team and so on captains would desert the ship as a consequence.Martin Benjamin wrote:and the organisers, who often come from the ranks of the players of my standard.
I concur that Hampstead was well run and friendly. As an outsider, it is difficult to say for certain how good certain organisers were. However, after John M stopped his funding, Hampstead still had Bob Pelligrenetti as secretary. I was county treasurer at the time. Bob was extremely efficient in his dealings with me. Bernard Haase was a good Middlesex League captain. My team played against his with little success. Indeed, Hampstead, with Dave Rumens, Kenny Shovell, Simon Brown and Nick De Peyer playing for them were very competitive. This is where Simon could step in and correct me, for I believe that work and domestic considerations caused Simon and Kenny to stop playing. I can't remember about Nick. Dave, if I remember rightly, was a very good friend of Bernard's and therefore stayed. Do not overlook, also, that clubs can still function without a first team in the top division. To me, much more fatal was when Hampstead chose as secretary someone, not mentioned in this post, who was far less effectual than Bob. As I have written elsewhere, when everything fell upon the broad shoulders of Bernard Haase and Mike Pennell, I believe that they got fed up. Running teams and clubs can be extremely frustrating at times.Martin Benjamin wrote: Hampstead were a good club which was one of the first to pay GMs to play for them in the London League about twenty years ago. After a while, a lot of Hampstead's middle and lower board players left the club, as they were not getting the opportunity to play in Division One of the London League. As I understand it, the individual funding the team then became seriously ill and had to give up his support; but then there was no base on which to fall back, nor any willing organiser.
Wood Green are very reliant upon Brian Smith. I'm sure Brian is very aware of the drawbacks to this. However, it is not easy getting others to step in. There are so few people willing to give of their own time for next to no reward. I've certainly spent thousands, possibly more, of my own money over the decades when running things, I am not the only one who has not claimed expenses. Sometimes, someone just takes over when there is a resignation. It could be that they were not putting themselves forward in the hope that the incumbent would stay.Martin Benjamin wrote:Other clubs have gone down this path with varying degrees of success (Wood Green have dominated the league, winning it for more years in a row than I can remember!).