Women's chess in London

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Djuna Tree

Women's chess in London

Post by Djuna Tree » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:39 am

I am curious whether anyone knows of any historical women's chess leagues in London? The London League will introduce a women's division this year, and while I can't find any evidence of any previous women's league, I would be amazed if this were the city's first.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Women's chess in London

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:36 am

Djuna Tree wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:39 am
I am curious whether anyone knows of any historical women's chess leagues in London?
This is a history compiled some years ago.
http://www.billwallchess.com/articles/w ... _chess.htm

It mentions various chess clubs for women, some in London but no mention of matches as part of a formal league. Once chess clubs became open, in other words not confined to men, there was less incentive to set up such clubs.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:19 pm

When was it the case that women were not allowed to join chess clubs in England and where?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:11 pm

The London Ladies Club mentioned by Bill Wall played about 50 matches a year in the latter part of the 19th Century. The London Civil Service League had some all-female teams, as well as a women's championship for some years. Women did play in the usual teams of course, but I think I encountered more female opponents in CS table tennis than in chess.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:44 pm

Just as a point of interest, and I only know this because a recent visitor asked and Dave Archibald and myself were stumped. The first mention of a female member joining the Edinburgh Club is Mr and Mrs Macfie of Borthwick Hall, They both joined in 1894.

Also, in passing, a few days ago I was reading about Baron Pierre de Coubertin who helped start the modern Olympic games. He was against women competing, especially in the track events and in 1928 after witnessing a female 800m race said nobody wanted to see tired women finishing a race more than 200m. It was unedifying. It was not until 1960 that female runners were allowed to run more than 200m in the Olympics.

I'm thinking they should now award the female winner of the 800m the 'Pierre de Coubertin Trophy.'