Page 1 of 1

Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:40 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
There is a mention of Stuart Milner-Barry here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... debreakers

"Cambridge college unmasks alumnae who were Bletchley Park codebreakers" (Guardian article)

Lots of connections with Newnham College:

"These included the principal, Pernel Strachey, sister of Oliver Strachey, who worked in British military intelligence as a cryptographer. Oliver’s wife, Ray Costelloe, a suffragist who had studied mathematics at Newnham, also helped to find and recruit the 77 women, along with Stuart Milner-Barry, who was in charge of Hut 6 – and happened to be the brother of Alda Milner-Barry, a former vice-principal of Newnham."

I wonder how many of the 77 women played chess?

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:48 pm
by Richard James
Pernel Strachey's sister Marjorie certainly played chess, so it's quite likely she did as well.

https://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot. ... achey.html

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm
by John Upham
Don't tell Gary Kenworthy of this thread whatever you do!

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:33 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm
Don't tell Gary Kenworthy of this thread whatever you do!
Dare one ask why?

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:38 pm
by John Upham
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:33 pm
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm
Don't tell Gary Kenworthy of this thread whatever you do!
Dare one ask why?
I fear that we will all find out soon enough.

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:23 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
The answer appears to lie in postings on LinkedIn by a Gary Kenworthy who appears to be the same as the chess FM. Unless it is someone pretending to be him. You would hope this thread could stay on topic, on the possible chess connections of the female codebreakers.

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:57 pm
by Roger Lancaster
Passing over Bletchley Park for a moment, another Linkedin posting reads "When I was a Director of the British Chess Federation, the extent of date rape drugs for sex by English arbiters was heavily covered up". Anyone care to elucidate?

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:46 pm
by Alan McGowan

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:04 am
by David Gilbert
I don't suppose anyone has noticed but I've been wearing the yellow, black and maroon scarf of Newnham College every winter for the last twenty-odd years. It's an enigma but it keeps me warm.

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 am
by John Upham
David Gilbert wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:04 am
I don't suppose anyone has noticed but I've been wearing the yellow, black and maroon scarf of Newnham College every winter for the last twenty-odd years. It's an enigma but it keeps me warm.
David,

Perchance are you friends with Mark Howitt or Alan Llewelyn?

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:26 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:38 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:33 pm
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm
Don't tell Gary Kenworthy of this thread whatever you do!
Dare one ask why?
I fear that we will all find out soon enough.
I don't think he has an account here any more, so perhaps not.

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm
by John Upham
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:26 pm
I don't think he has an account here any more, so perhaps not.
I asked GK about this and his "reason" (don't use the meaning of this word literally) was
I cannot post on EC Forum ,as my account was taken over by one of MI6 trained chess bluffer Boris Johnson/ GCHQ Cheltenham chess cheat, Dr Simon Cases spooks / bots who did very clever AI editing of my posts and fake news newsstreams to my browser to discredit me -- ...etc so the EC Forum account is thus blocked.
Make of that what you will. I was not able to decipher it.

Re: Bletchley Park female codebreakers

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:15 am
by James Pratt
Shaun Taulbut's mum worked there ..