Godwin's Law

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
matt_ward

Re: The Morphy Game: The Duke of Brunswick did not play it!

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Bobby Fischer said himself "I am not a genius I Am a all round genius" The reclusive said this he also said

"I object to being called a chess genius, because I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like an idiot savant, outside of chess he knows nothing. "
Last edited by matt_ward on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

matt_ward wrote:Bobby Fischer said himself "I am not a genius I Am a all round genius" The reclusive said this he also said

"I object to being called a chess genius, because I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like an idiot savant, outside of chess he knows nothing. "

This is my favourite quote one of many by Bobby Fischer! you couldn't call him anti-semitic
I think you probably could.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 pm

matt_ward wrote: This is my favourite quote one of many by Bobby Fischer! you couldn't call him anti-semitic

I think this is by far one of the most stuipid things ever written on this forum. Which considering alot of my rants V Paul in poetry lol

Is very impressive indeed.

The guy was an anti-semite and whilst a brilliant chess player, Hitler was a brilliant politician(speaker) , still does not hide the facts.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:01 pm

It is almost as if Nick Griffin had been searching the ECF on-line grading database and randomly chosen a player's name. Perhaps Matt Ward could explain Fischer's denial of the Holcaust and other rantings?

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:06 pm

I WAS BEING SARCASTIC what the hell is it with people grow a sense of humour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 pm

We can't discount Irving here, we all know he loves the attention!
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Shows how made britian is of having a sense of humour you could get more of a laugh with an animal!!!

matt_ward

Godwin's Law

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Ben I don't need attention mate! so keep dreaming

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:11 pm

I was referring to the academic who made his name doing what Jonathan spoke about.

This was a "joke" as one would put. Because I am pretty sure with Jonathan's generation. Irving was a well documented almost "celeb"

Ben

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 pm

This has nothing to do with Morphy -v- Braunschweig. In fact Hitler ("Hilter" anyone?) wasn't a chess player, doubt that Irving was either. And RJF quite clearly had developmental problems and some social/mental dysfunctions, perhaps some commonality with the last few posters? This thread concerns interesting video clips for teaching some of the culture and history of chess, so unless you have some useful contribution to make, please, just bog off, sharpish, eh?

Carl, can you delete the effluent that has polluted this thread, please, it is utterly besides the point, I don't understand where it started, why it chose this thread, and is indeed utterly annoying. hardly a tribute to Paul Morphy. Thanks.