Champions' Names

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Nick Thomas

Re: Champions' Names

Post by Nick Thomas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:29 pm

1981,1983 - Craig Dawson still not updated...and Mark Wheeler and David Watts...

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

OK, guys, hit your refresh buttons on http://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/britchamps.html - another update, incorporating Alex's points sent to me by email, plus all the things which you good people have posted here - for which, many thanks. There are still a few gaps but amazingly few after this exhilarating afternoon of group research. Bound to be errors and typos, so please proof-read and give me feedback via the forum. Alex McF tells me he is off to 'exotic Grangemouth' (his description) now so we won't be getting his feedback for a while (I told him to pack plenty of sun block). He's done a great job and tells me Peter Purland has provided quite a lot of the names.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Not quite away yet.
John has pointed out one other name that is missing.
P Karmaz (1967 U16)

Again thanks to everyone.

Susan Lalic

Post by Susan Lalic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:11 pm

It is Julia Baxendine.
She is a Mum at the same school my kids go to.
Seems to be spelt wrong with Bexendine.
Sorry, I see that has already been covered on later pages!

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

John, Alex,

I think Stewart and I concluded on another thread that your 1991 U11 Boys champion cannot be correct (first name OR surname!)

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Leonard, Richard, John

I think it was Neale Walford too - I'll ask my brother, who played him a few times if I recall.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Yep, you're right. Good proof-reading. Not sure how that error crept into my list - but, to give Alex credit, he had the right answer in his latest Word list. The 1991 U11 champion was Dipanyan Das. Fixed...
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 pm

The U15 Champion in 1961, "P Murphy", has some games against Keene from a few years later listed here:
http://www.phileo.demon.co.uk/keene01.pgn

Unfortunately this doesn't give his name, but it does give another initial! "P W Murphy".

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Yes, and I now have Murphy's home town - Blackburn (source: 1964/65 BCF Yearbook). I notice MN Walsh was in the same tournament, the 1964 British U18, and he was from Crewe. It was won jointly by Brian Denman and Ray Keene. I'll ask Brian Denman and Bernard Cafferty (from Blackburn) to see if they can supply forenames for these two.

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:44 pm

1992 U15 Girls co-winner was Sally E Smith
Former ECF Grading System Programmer

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 pm

I have some more. Firstly whoever left it this long should be congratulated for allowing us the opportunity to demonstrate sleuthing abilities and have some amusement at the same time.

1992 U9 R Murphy U8 A Chowdhuri

Ronan (not Richard) Murphy was Irish I believe. Source - Tournament Director printout for the event.

There is A Chowdhuri in the same event, who always played up one year as well as his own age group. In the U9 he is down as Adwaya so he probably is the same as your missing U8.

Now memory only:-

I can confirm John A Lawrence U15 1957 is extremely likely to be correct as the player who was later a member of the Kynoch chess club. I played aginst that team in 1968 ish and their top board was J A Lawrence who was 200+ and responded to the name John; it could possibly have been Jon. I think our top board drew; I was the only one who won; I shouldnt have mentioned that bit but got carried away. JAL played in the U20 at Zurich in 1962, the BCF Championship in 1963 and the Appleby Frodingham 1961 so K B Richardson or D Rumens may be able to confirm.

Re 1927 G H Rowson I think this is likely to be Geoffrey H Rowson. I recall Alexander at Cheltenham mentioning once that he played a game against Geoff Rowson in the Boys 1926 championship which was similar to the game I had just finished playing at that time in 1972. There was a G H Rowson who played for Hampstead Chess club around then according to 1926 BCMs. But as this needed a memory hop of 46 years by CHO'D A and then 38 years by me either could be mistaken.

Is Leonard Barden sure about Sheila A Jordan many players got her records confused with Sheila A Jackson of the same era ? LWB is usually right about these things though.

P Karmaz 1967 - Fairly sure he was from Bolton and Harry Lamb's junior stable. Perhaps Stewart Reuben could ask Harry next time they communicate cryptically through the telegraph or the forum. Middlesex and Lancashire played many county championship finals in the 1960s; Harry Lamb's response to Middlesex's board order and eligibility was impressive. He set up Bolton Juniors and generated about 10 county first team players out of thin air.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the further information which has been built into another mini-update at Britbase (URL given in my 'sig').

Brian Denman and Bernard Cafferty were unable to provide forenames for PW Murphy or MN Walsh but thought someone might consult P Almond who was also from Blackburn and might therefore have known PW Murphy. I understand P Almond is still a Lancashire player/organiser - could someone perhaps make contact with him and ask? Thanks.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 am

E Micheal White above:

Jackson and Jordan were both from Liverpool and were both recommended to me by John Beach for invitations to our junior events, I am not 100% sure that Jordan was Sheila rather than Susan. If anyone has contact with Sheila Jackson she could confirm.

1975: I now think Sheila Hutchinson might have been Susan. The Hutchinson family included strong brother Norman, who played in the British Senior at Canterbury, so perhaps he could be confacted to confirm?

1984 definitely James Akehurst not James/Jonathan

1984 Deborah Johnson, I think.

1984 I think Matthew Walker should be Mark Walker. He was from Hampshire, Portsmouth or Southampton, and this reminds me of a bad mistake I made as BCF junior squad manager.

In May 1985 Garry Kasparov, fresh from winning the world title, agreed to give a free simul against English juniors. This was organised by Peter Barton at Uppingham. Due to imminent exams, our team was not at its very strongest but still pretty good with James Howell, then already IM standard, on top board, and future GMs Conquest, Adams, Wells and McDonald (who entered chess history that day with his oft-quoted queen sac for stalemate) slightly lower down. I remember that Kasparov asked for a team list beforehand then went off for an hour to prepare for individual opponents.....

I was given to understand that the number of boards (20 or 25, I forget) could not be increased so agonised who to put on the bottom boards. I seriously considered a promising 9-10 year old but finally decided against him. When I reached Uppingham on the day I found that Walker pere, who was helping with the arrangements, had casually suggested to Kasparov that there could be a couple of extra boards. Garry readily agreed, so naturally Mark Walker got a place as one of the extras. The 9-10 year old I omitted? Matthew Sadler
Last edited by Leonard Barden on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:16 am

Alex McFarlane wrote: That makes only 24 names to find - 25 if anyone can supply names for Miss Fatima!!

Some time in the early 1990s I was invited to a press preview of a television programme about Sultan Khan, narrated by Tariq Ali. I think this was probably BBC2 but it might have been Channel 4. Its theme was the unknown Asian successfully challenging the West, but there was plenty of chess content including contributions by Ritson Morry.

The programme reasearchers had succeeded in tracking down Miss Fatima for interview. As I recall, she said hardly anything about winning the British Ladies championship but waxed at length with verbatim quotes about being invited to Buckingham Palace to meet Queen Mary.

I can't recall if the programme provided her other name(s) but this would be by far the best chance of finding it/them.

Perhaps our film expert Stewart Reuben knows of this programme or can track it down?

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:22 am

> 1984 I think Matthew Walker should be Mark Walker. He was from Hampshire, Portsmouth or Southampton.
I can confirm that it was definitely Mark Walker. He was from Southampton. He had two chess playing older brothers, Keith and Chris. Keith was quite strong before he gave up. At one stage I had 4.5/5 in head-to-heads against Mark, but in the very last game we played he managed to checkmate me in the middle of the board in an ending where I had a rook and bishop and he had a rook and three pawns. His father was called Laurie Walker and organised much of the chess in the Southampton area.