Timeline of British Isles titles (1950-2010)

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Timeline of British Isles titles (1950-2010)

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:06 am

James Pratt wrote:Anne Sunnucks was a Major in the Women's Royal Air Corps. Tony Kosten = Anthony Cornelius Kosten. Robert Cecil Bellin (he answered to RS Bellin but Gaige says otherwise), Bob Wade 'stepped down for the younger masters' and played for NZ as late as Siegen 1970.
Nigel Rodney Davies registered for England, then Wales, Israel back to England. Stewart Reuben told me it was possible to change federations during an event. Pal Benko played in the Candidates as 'Stateless'. Miss Loftus got married during the British Championships, Ayr 1978 and signed her scoresheets Toni Binns from thereon in... :shock:
Thanks. There are a couple of updates I need to make (including noting that Elaine Pritchard was born Elaine Saunders), and these details of changes will help as well. Being able to change federations during an event sounds ... interesting, as does changing your name (by marriage) during an event!

Toni Halliwell

Post by Toni Halliwell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Actually Miss Loftus got married before the British championships in Ayr - she wasn't married when she entered, but was by the time she got there!!

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:26 pm

I stand corrected, Mrs Halli! My source was a scorer, the Great Bill Pettigrew! :?

Toni Halliwell

Post by Toni Halliwell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Well James, you can't get a more reliable source than the horse's mouth, now can you, lol?!! Best wishes, Toni. :lol:

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon May 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I'm not sure whether Murray Chandler was resident in England at the time, but still registered with NZL. As he was aged 16-17, I've presumed he was still living in New Zealand at that time.
Murray was most definitely living in England by then - I clearly remember meeting him at the home of a mutual acquaintance early in '76. He boarded with the Hannan family in Sidcup, a household of near-legendary status in SE London chess circles.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 am

There is a list of all British and Irish holders of ICCF titles (for correspondence chess) awarded up to 2009 on pages 386-7 of my book "Correspondence Chess in Britain and Ireland 1824-1987".
Unfortunately it was not possible to include 2010 awards because proof-reading had to be completed before the 2010 ICCF Congress was held.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue May 17, 2011 8:43 pm

I can confirm that Murray was in the UK in 1977, maybe even 1976. I played him when he was at the Hannans, playing for Charlton, and it would have been before I went to Uni when I played for Hayes in Kent with Danny King, his brother, my brother, etc.. I was told by Peter, who I had known for ever by then, that it was one of the first games he played in England, and I do remember he arrived in bare feet. In winter, and it was raining.

No, I don't recall the result but I'm fairly sure I didn't win.