Hastings Pier

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Phil Neatherway

Hastings Pier

Post by Phil Neatherway » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:21 am

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-11473688

isn't this where the Hastings Congress used to be held?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Hastings Pier

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 am

Phil Neatherway wrote:isn't this where the Hastings Congress used to be held?
The Congress (the non-Premier part) was held in the ballroom at the end of the pier for several years in the nineties.

The ballroom is no more
BBC report wrote:He said the entire ballroom had become a burning framework with bits dropping off into the sea.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 am

Talking of coincidences (events in Hastings) :

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?p=6821
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:47 pm

This is a real shame, although I know the pier has been unused for some time, as well as being the subject of some local controversy over its ownership and future.

Every year I stay at a B&B near the pier during the Hastings Congress, and have always thought it a pity it's not been used as a real attraction for the town.

Sadly it appears it may be lost for good now; worse news is that it may have been deliberate.
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:40 pm

Given the speed with which the pier burnt, it's a good job it didn't happen when there were lots of people there...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Tristan Clayton wrote:This is a real shame, although I know the pier has been unused for some time, as well as being the subject of some local controversy over its ownership and future.

Every year I stay at a B&B near the pier during the Hastings Congress, and have always thought it a pity it's not been used as a real attraction for the town.

Sadly it appears it may be lost for good now; worse news is that it may have been deliberate.
I blame it on the pre-May-2010 local Council, who didn't have the nous to realise that the private owners - an investment company registered in Panama - were never ever ever going to invest in the health and safety structural work required. Indeed, I understand the owners cannot now be contacted. Years were lost in trying to follow futile process.

The post-May-2010 Council was getting it together - compulsory purchase planned, and eventually hand over to a local Trust, who had acquired funds for feasibility studies and who had just last week invited architects to submit..... www.hpwrt.co.uk

Two local teenagers were detained and have been bailed.

PB

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Amazing how often piers catch fire.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com