London leagues and chess clubs

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
LozCooper

Re: London leagues and chess clubs

Post by LozCooper » Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:I've seen a few matches played that doubled up as cup and league matches - one had a different result as the league match was drawn but one team won the cup match on board count - not ideal, but needs must when the weather intervenes with the fixture list
I've seen doubled up league and cup matches played where a different number of boards counted in each - all 10 boards for the cup match, but only the top 8 boards for the league match; which could create a dilemma for the last player to finish if the match score is, say, 3.5-3.5 on the top 8 boards and 5-4 on the top 10 boards. Does the player go for a draw to win the cup match, or a win to also win the league match, at the risk of ending up losing both if board count is unfavourable to his team?
I assume you can't agree a draw in the cup game but play the position on to count towards the league :shock:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed May 18, 2011 4:24 pm

You would get the game graded twice with 2 different results in that case, so I guess not is the answer
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu May 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:I've seen doubled up league and cup matches played where a different number of boards counted in each - all 10 boards for the cup match, but only the top 8 boards for the league match; which could create a dilemma for the last player to finish if the match score is, say, 3.5-3.5 on the top 8 boards and 5-4 on the top 10 boards. Does the player go for a draw to win the cup match, or a win to also win the league match, at the risk of ending up losing both if board count is unfavourable to his team?
LozCooper wrote:I assume you can't agree a draw in the cup game but play the position on to count towards the league :shock:
Mick Norris wrote:You would get the game graded twice with 2 different results in that case, so I guess not is the answer.
When I was a Surrey Junior in the late 1960s / early 1970s, we used to play school matches in the Briant Poulter League (happily still going strong) and in the London Schools League (sadly long since defunct).

It wasn't unusual for a match to be played on the basis that it counted in both competitions, particularly late in the season if one of the matches had been postponed from the original date.

In those days of course unfinished games were adjudicated. At adjudication time it wasn't unknown for a game to be conceded in one competition and agreed drawn in the other.

This wasn't as bizarre or irregular as it sounds. If you didn't agree the result, you had to submit the position for adjudication separately in each competition. On at least one occasion different outcomes came back.

Grading was relatively new then and I never did find out what happened in that respect.

Stand by for the appearance of Alex H. :wink:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 19, 2011 7:18 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Stand by for the appearance of Alex H. :wink:
I was too busy shaking my head in despair to come up with a meaningful reply. :wink: