1949 British Championship Congress

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Roger de Coverly

Re: 1949 British Championship Congress

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Alan Ruffle wrote: In it the "former CEO" writes true to his form - well and interestingly but not without a nod to more recent verbal battles, or so it seems to me.
In 1949, they introduced a membership scheme of sorts to raise money for the BCF. Evidently it didn't work as if it had done so, Andrew Farthing would not have had to introduce another one. At the time, I think the BCF found that a full time employee could no longer be afforded.
Alan Ruffle wrote: Put Chess Moves on the forum.
Access to ChessMoves is a "benefit of membership". I doubt there would be dire consequences were ChessMoves to be abolished. Nearly all the material has previously appeared on the ECF website, with the Andrew Farthing material amongst the only original content.

John McKenna

Re: 1949 British Championship Congress

Post by John McKenna » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Sorry Roger, I originally wrote the fiirst quote in your post above, not Alan Ruffle. He probably had finger trouble.
The second quote is his and it and you (plus other) question Chess Moves right to continue and why it is behind the membership paywall? If in addition to past ECF officials, like the former CEO, all current officials were to write regularly in it then it might be worth something, as the days are gone when any of them - apart from Alex & Sean - say anything to the membership now they have secured their positions.