Bob Wade

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Paul McKeown

Re: Bob Wade

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Justin - I meant Richard - but thanks anyway!
P.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:43 pm

Paul

I think you meant Justin. I haven't found anything in my copy of the 1997 edition.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Reading 300 rompecabezas de ajedrez* while waiting for the bus today I discovered that he won the Johannesburg Open in 1999. This must have made him one of the oldest ever winners of any open tournament?

[* this turns out to be The Batsford Chess Book]
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:38 am

Richard,

What I meant was, in what context in "The King" did Donner write of his drawing with difficulty with RGW? Why did he write this, it wasn't random surely, what was the thought that led him to pen his words about Bob?

Hope it isn't too much trouble...

And, yes, I have always been a fan of Chess Addict!

Thanks.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:41 am

Justin,
I dug the following out of Bob's diaries:

20 March – 22 March 1999
Bostik Open — Johannesburg (South Africa)
1–3. RG Wade, M Levitt, MC Rubery Swiss system, 7 rounds, 65 players. The prizes were:– 1. 2,500, 1,500 and 750 rand.
Wade’s results were:–
Rd. Col. Opponent Result
1 W Paul W Mansfield 1
2 B P Iyer 1
3 W John A Cawdery 1
4 B WJH Nelson ½
5 W M Solomon Mauba 1
6 B David S Swartz ½
7 W David C Mendelsohn 1

Does this tally with your source?

Also, could you just post the full passage (or email it to me), that way I can be sure I'm not missing or misunderstanding anything?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Paul M.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:44 am

Oh - btw Happy New Year everyone!

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 am

Paul

I found nothing in my copy of the 1997 edition (there's nothing in the index, anyway. I haven't reread every word).

It was Justin who said he'd found a reference in his copy of the 2006 edition.

Happy New Year

Richard

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Richard,

Sorry, I re-read the thread carefully.

You're right!

Justin,

Can you provide me the context, please, in which Hein Donner remembered his draw in a simul given by RGW?

Regards,
Paul.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:btw. is there an easy way to create accents in this web app?
The <AltGr> key should do the trick for acute accents. For instance typing <AltGr>, keeping it depressed and additionally pressing <e> should produce: é .

Another method is to open up a word processor, type from there and paste.

Yet another, in Windows, is to memorise some of the key codes. This applies to more than just accents. For instance <alt> pressed simultaneously with <1>, followed by <4>, followed by <5> (all numbers typed on the *numeric keypad*, not the numbers at the back) and then releasing the <alt> key should produce æ .

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Paul: regarding the Donner piece, it's in the context of a piece written about simuls - he talks about this from both the perspective of the simul-giver and the opponent. If you want I will fax you a copy of the relevant pages. Regarding the Barden reference, I can post the full passage if you want, but it'll be in Spanish - somebody here must have the original English version? It's Wade-Mendelsohn, number 115. It does, incidentally, say he won the brilliancy prize for the game cited.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Paul: regarding the Donner piece, it's in the context of a piece written about simuls - he talks about this from both the perspective of the simul-giver and the opponent. If you want I will fax you a copy of the relevant pages.
Justin, could you scan and email me the Donner piece? My email is paulmckeown_underscore_dpk_monkeys tail_hotmail.com [replace _underscore_ with an underscore and _monkeys tail_ by an @; I get enough spam to set up a canning factory :x]
Alternatively post to this forum?

Is there anything that sets the simul in place and time? My best guess is that it took place during one of the following periods: 1 October - 15 October 1948 (possibly in very late Sept.); October 25 - 29 1948; December 1 - 15 1948; January 16 - 20 1949. My best guess (if pushed) would be Wed. Jan. 19, 1949, when he stayed overnight in the Hague with Dr. Rueb. But any indication would be most useful, I can always scour Dutch newspapers for more information.
Paul: regarding the Donner piece, it's in the context of a piece written about simuls - he talks about this from both the perspective of the simul-giver and the opponent. If you want I will fax you a copy of the relevant pages. Regarding the Barden reference, I can post the full passage if you want, but it'll be in Spanish - somebody here must have the original English version? It's Wade-Mendelsohn, number 115. It does, incidentally, say he won the brilliancy prize for the game cited.
Reading 300 rompecabezas de ajedrez* while waiting for the bus today I discovered that he won the Johannesburg Open in 1999. This must have made him one of the oldest ever winners of any open tournament?[* this turns out to be The Batsford Chess Book]
Is that the Batsford Book of Chess, RGW, Batsford, 1991 (second edition to the book originally published in 1984)? Strangely, Bob's library doesn't have this (or at least I never saw it there - perhaps he had leant it to someone?) In that case the notes would be Bob's?

Or is this the later Graham Burgess book?

Regards,
Paul M.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Paul - I'm afraid I don't have current access to a scanner and the piece is too long to type out! I'm happy to photocopy and post it if you don't mind the wait. I've not got the book with me but can get it tonight (though I doubt I can post anything before Tuesday).

I suspect the original Barden book is "The Batsford Chess Puzzle Book" (the Spanish bibliographic details - what is that page called in publishing terminology? omitted an important word) from 2002 (0713487690).
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm happy to photocopy and post it
to 103 Nield Road, Hayes, Middlesex. UB3 1SQ.

Both pieces, please.

Thanks!

I think the word you are looking for is colophon. No?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Justin,

As a former librarian, do you happen to know anything about G. Norman Knight?

Anyone,

As a chess player, he wrote a book called (iirc), "Chess Pieces", which was an assortment of anecdotes and positions. Does anyone know anything about this book?

I'll explain the relevance of this to Bob Wade later.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:01 pm

I think I was thinking of "edition notice", but looking for "colophon" got me there, thanks.

The British Library Integrated Catalogue finds me three editions of Gilfred Norman Knight's book Chess Pieces (Norman is a forename, which I think he used in place of his first name, much as I use Justin) two of which are from 1949 and one from 1962 - and and two (from 1975) of an anthology called King queen and knight. (Presumably not the same thing?)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com