Harry Golombek

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Barry Sandercock

Harry Golombek

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:42 pm

I live in Chalfont St.Giles and today I made a pleasant discovery. In the local churchyard by the enterence to the church there is a bench with the dedication " Harry Golombek, O.B.E. Code Breaker, Chess Correspondent, Writer " with the birth and death dates. I've lived here many years, but never knew it was there.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Harry Golombek

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:I live in Chalfont St.Giles and today I made a pleasant discovery. In the local churchyard by the enterence to the church there is a bench with the dedication " Harry Golombek, O.B.E. Code Breaker, Chess Correspondent, Writer " with the birth and death dates. I've lived here many years, but never knew it was there.
Nice story. Can you get a photo?

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for your comment Christopher, but I'm afraid at my age (82) I'm not really up to this modern technology and don't have a photo. It is a nice wooden bench in good condition and the plaque, also in good order with the dates 1 March 1911-7 January 1995.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:36 pm

The Wikipedia article on Harry Golombek states: "After the war he lived at 35 Albion Crescent, Chalfont St Giles."

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Hopefully Barry hasn't been living in that house without realising its history? :D

Brief anecdote about Golombek and Turing here:

http://liberalengland.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ombek.html

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:40 pm

I certainly know the house as I occasionally gave him lifts back from the station. His front door had a nice leaded glass panel with a red knight in the centre. But its all been altered now. Nothing stays the same !

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:I certainly know the house as I occasionally gave him lifts back from the station. His front door had a nice leaded glass panel with a red knight in the centre. But its all been altered now. Nothing stays the same !
Ah, I hadn't realised you had known him! That makes my previous comment look a bit silly! It's another great anecdote, though (are there any others you would be willing to share?). My grandfather (who took up wood-carving) did a carving at one point featuring his three great life interests/hobbies, one of which was chess. And one of the panels featured a chess piece (or board, can't remember exactly). It is always nice to see people proclaim their love of chess like that, and in Golombek's case on his front door no less. In another age, it would have been chess tattoos...

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Good to know that Harry Golombek is remembered at Chalfont St. Giles. He left his book collection with the National Chess Library at Hastings, and this will be a permanent memorial in his name.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 pm

There was also a Harry Golombek Memorial Tournament held at Paignton in 2000.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:06 pm

The Hastings Masters Tournament also awards the Golombek Perpetual Trophy, to the winner of this event.