Page 1 of 1

Parkinson

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:01 pm
by John Townsend
A player by the name of Parkinson was identified by Sergeant (p. 22) as one of the early members of the London Chess Club (founded in 1807). Later "Parkinson" was one of the London committee involved in the correspondence match against Edinburgh Chess Club, which was commenced in 1824. Finally, the Oxford Encyclopedia of Chess Games contains a few games, 1813-1817, played by "J. Parkinson".

Assuming for the time being that all these references are to the same man, can anyone help, please, by giving his forename?

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:48 pm
by John Townsend
I have to report that I have received a very helpful e-mail pointing out that the British Chess Magazine in 1906 (p. 49) mentions Parkinson as "an architect and first-class player". This seems to identify him as Joseph Parkinson, the famous architect. See, for example, Frederic Boase, Modern English Biography, ii, 1355, which gives his dates as 1783-1855.

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:59 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Interesting. I'm sure you have these sources already, but some details here:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Parkinson ... 28DNB00%29

(That is the father, but some details on the son there as well). Heh, the middle initial is 'T'. Do we have to work out what that stands for now? :D

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 am
by Gordon Cadden
According to George Walker, Joseph Parkinson retired from playing chess, at the same time as Mercier.
Their retirement could have been precipitated by the arrival of M'Donnell, and La Bourdonnais, on the London chess scene.

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:25 pm
by Paul McKeown
Gordon Cadden wrote:Their retirement could have been precipitated by the arrival of MacDonnell, and La Bourdonnais, on the London chess scene.
McDonnell otherwise spelt M'Donnell. Not MacDonnell, GA MacDonnell was another player altogether.

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 am
by Gordon Cadden
Paul McKeown wrote:
Gordon Cadden wrote:Their retirement could have been precipitated by the arrival of MacDonnell, and La Bourdonnais, on the London chess scene.
McDonnell otherwise spelt M'Donnell. Not MacDonnell, GA MacDonnell was another player altogether.
M'Donnell according to George Walker. McDonnell according to Ken Whyld.

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:24 pm
by David McAlister
Try http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/mcdonnell.html for a comprehensive discussion of the correct spelling (including my own small contribution).

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:16 am
by Gordon Cadden
I should have added MacDonnell according to his tombstone. Have made several visits to his grave during the past 40 years. Murray made the same mistake, which he acknowledged in later years.
The tombstone would normally have the last word, but it would seem that the monumental sculptor should be held to account.
Shall we settle for McDonnell ?

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:29 pm
by David McAlister
I agree we should indeed settle for McDonnell.

However I'm interested by your (GC) reference to having visited the tombstone many times and that apparently MacDonnell appears on it.

Winter's article states that Harris visited the grave in 1842 and gave the "Mac" version as being on the tombstone. Prompted by Murray (probably concerned he'd got it wrong with "Mac"), Keeble visited the grave in 1934 and reported "Mc" as the spelling.

Are you saying in terms that Harris was correct in his transcription and Keeble, who had gone specifically to check the spelling, got it wrong?

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm
by Gordon Cadden
David McAlister wrote:I agree we should indeed settle for McDonnell.

However I'm interested by your (GC) reference to having visited the tombstone many times and that apparently MacDonnell appears on it.

Winter's article states that Harris visited the grave in 1842 and gave the "Mac" version as being on the tombstone. Prompted by Murray (probably concerned he'd got it wrong with "Mac"), Keeble visited the grave in 1934 and reported "Mc" as the spelling.

Are you saying in terms that Harris was correct in his transcription and Keeble, who had gone specifically to check the spelling, got it wrong?
I was commenting on the original name on the gravestone (tombstone), which stated MacDonnell. His grave is very easy to find at Kensal Green Cemetery, only the 6th. burial as I remember.
However, the inscription has been badly worn by the weather, and so it would not be possible to read MacDonnell, or McDonnell. Keeble stated that he saw "Mc", but the inscription on the gravestone would not have been easy to read by 1934. We must accept that the original name on the gravestone was MacDonnell, but it should have been McDonnell.

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm
by Gordon Cadden
Looks like it could be MacDonnell after all. Have just traced some 19th. century research on the Reverend George Alcock MacDonnell.

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:09 pm
by Brendan O'Gorman
Crikey! I've just realised how I appear to normal people when I obsess about chess. :wink:

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:19 pm
by Gordon Cadden
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:Crikey! I've just realised how I appear to normal people when I obsess about chess. :wink:
You do great work recording future history with your camera Brendan.
There are far more chess players below ground, than above. I find the history of chess a fascinating subject.

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm
by Barry Sandercock
Don't worry Brendan, you are quite normal. Congratulations on winning at Bexhill

Re: Parkinson

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:33 pm
by Brendan O'Gorman
Thanks guys, but I have to tell you that reading forums like this is not normal!