My favourite unwritten biographies

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Paul McKeown

My favourite unwritten biographies

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:17 pm

I was round at Richard James's yesterday evening (thank you, Richard) and at one point the conversation turned to books that have not yet been written. I suggested that I would love to see proper biographies of William Winter, Sir George Thomas and Jonathan Penrose (and the Penrose family in general), as they all had a large and positive impact on British chess and also its image abroad. Richard suggested that he would like to see a properly researched book on Blackburne.

Is anyone out there up for the challenge?

Or do other people have other, as yet unwritten, biographies?

John Upham

Re: My favourite unwritten biographies

Post by John Upham » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:33 pm

I would like to see biographies of Penrose (both Jonathan and Roger would be of interest to myself) plus Julian Hodgson and Mike Basman. :D

I wonder if IGMRDKOBE would be interested along with Julian Simpole :wink:
Last edited by John Upham on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Thought you might like to know that Oliver Penrose continues to play competitive chess in Edinburgh, today winning the Lothians Championship.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:38 pm

An extremely interesting biography would be David Norwood's. He has given £120 million to British Universities. Quite a remarkable achievement, which one might think was worthy of a gong?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:06 pm

James Pratt told me in 2007 that he was working on a biography on Basman, but I don't know whether he is ready to publish anything yet.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Unfortunately the Basman biography, for which I got MJB's permission, had to be abandoned for personal reasons. I also tried to assemble stuff about Penrose but here my problem was technical, he was just so strong, his life so dull! I will willing sell my Penrose findings to anybody interested.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:18 pm

James Pratt wrote:I will willing sell my Penrose findings to anybody interested.
You are joking, aren't you? No one can make money writing a proper chess biography. Its a labour of love. Why would anyone pay for second hand material?

P.

TomChivers

Post by TomChivers » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm

I'd like to see a biography of Nigel Short written by Tony Miles.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
James Pratt wrote:I will willing sell my Penrose findings to anybody interested.
You are joking, aren't you? No one can make money writing a proper chess biography. It's a labour of love. Why would anyone pay for second hand material?

P.
Ouch! Perhaps there is some value in James's source materials, if he has any.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 pm

I have some terrific stuff on Penrose with any amount of cross referencing and detailed knowledge, I was offered a contract and a GM to work with but declined. Penrose is a very shy man and probably hated the idea of a biography. I respected his privacy but, as I say, did not proceed for other reasons. My notes took about two years to assemble. To the right potential author, of course they'd have value. I think we may be at cross purposes here, Paul McK. Never mind!

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)