Descriptive notation

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Richard Bates

Re: Descriptive notation

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:I personally have no idea how to read descriptive, but no matter - if i want to look up an old master's games i have chessbase. There is no need for me to learn descriptive.
I have my Chessbase set up with descriptive notation 8)

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Well, I am pleased to have got this thread moving again. Descriptive notation is close to my heart, and I am annoyed I felt compelled to move away from it in the 1970s. If it was good enough for Bobby Fischer, I felt, it was good enough for me!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Rob Thompson wrote:I personally have no idea how to read descriptive, but no matter - if i want to look up an old master's games i have chessbase. There is no need for me to learn descriptive.
I have my Chessbase set up with descriptive notation 8)
I thought you were joking, then I saw this:

http://www.chessbase.com/workshop2.asp?id=1198

Is it really possible to programme descriptive notation? Must be.

EDIT: Searching for older topics is sometimes useful as well:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1514

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:Well, I am pleased to have got this thread moving again. Descriptive notation is close to my heart, and I am annoyed I felt compelled to move away from it in the 1970s. If it was good enough for Bobby Fischer, I felt, it was good enough for me!
The slave trade was good enough for Prime Ministers of this country for hundreds of years...

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Gosh Alex! It's a bit early for Godwin's Law to hit this thread. Then again, we haven't had a good teleological fallacy on ecforum for a while.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Technically, that was a) not a godwin and b) a valid point.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Gosh Alex! It's a bit early for Godwin's Law to hit this thread. Then again, we haven't had a good teleological fallacy on ecforum for a while.
All attempts to sing the praises of descriptive notation must be crushed. :twisted:

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I feel a Dawkins moment coming on. :lol:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 pm

You may refuse to learn descriptive notation if you wish. And I will get all the scoresheets written by Michael Franklin, Paul Brackner, and various other people who write perfect descriptive with lovely handwriting. I am happy with this arrangement.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:You may refuse to learn descriptive notation if you wish. And I will get all the scoresheets written by Michael Franklin, Paul Brackner, and various other people who write perfect descriptive with lovely handwriting. I am happy with this arrangement.
Fine by me! You can have the less well-written descriptive notation scoresheets from the 4NCL if you like. David Pardoe and Rod Langham (I think it is, from Oxford 3?) spring to mind. :wink:

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 am

Rod Langham does indeed play for Oxford 3. I hadn't noticed what notation he uses, though I must have sat next to him several times during 4NCL matches.

I changed to algebraic in about 1973. At the time, I felt it was a bit like going decimal.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:28 am

Phil Neatherway wrote:Rod Langham does indeed play for Oxford 3. I hadn't noticed what notation he uses, though I must have sat next to him several times during 4NCL matches.
Well, I think it's him. It's definitely someone in the Oxford 3 team. It took me 15 minutes of complaining about him writing the wrong move in descriptive, his opponent writing illegibly in algebraic, and then it suddenly dawned on me that it was actually an illegal move...
Phil Neatherway wrote:I changed to algebraic in about 1973. At the time, I felt it was a bit like going decimal.
Ah, I think we should have retained imperial units, especially with money!

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:22 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Phil Neatherway wrote:I changed to algebraic in about 1973. At the time, I felt it was a bit like going decimal.
Ah, I think we should have retained imperial units, especially with money!
Why stopping there? I'd suggest we bring back Roman numerals as well.

What about chess descriptive notation with Roman numerals?

1. PKIV PKIV 2. NKBIII NQBIII 3. BNV PQRIII

:twisted:

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I bet there is somebody, somewhere who actually uses that :lol:

I speak as somebody who switched to algebraic in the mid 80s, but remains fully "bilingual" - and I say this to the young 'uns here:

LEARNING DESCRIPTIVE ISN'T ACTUALLY *THAT* HARD!

To hear the way some have gone on, you would think it was comparable to mastering obscure Caucasian languages or something :twisted:

It might take you a day or two - but is well worth it, in particular, for anybody with the remotest interest in chess history. While most of the "classics" might have been "algebraicised" now, there is still a wealth of material out there which will probably never be. In particular, chess magazines and periodicals.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 pm

"Why stopping there? I'd suggest we bring back Roman numerals as well.

What about chess descriptive notation with Roman numerals?

1. PKIV PKIV 2. NKBIII NQBIII 3. BNV PQRIII"

And why stop there?

Surely, I.PRxIV PRxIV, II. MRxEIII MRaEIII, III. EMV PRaCIII

where King = rex (Rx), Queen = Regina (Ra), Rook = Castrum (C), Bishop = Episcopus (E), Knight = Miles (M) and Pawn = Pedis (P)

I would prefer pontifex for bishop, but that's another one beginning with P... and that would just be silly.

I have a horrible feeling that there will now be 27 pages of debate about the correct Latin.

You can start here http://latindiscussion.com/forum/viewto ... 36&start=0
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey