Welsh Chess Photographs

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Martyn Griffiths

Welsh Chess Photographs

Post by Martyn Griffiths » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:42 pm

I am putting together albums of Welsh chess history prior to 1970 (when WCU broke off from BCF). I intend depositing these albums at a county archive so that they are not lost and can be used by generations to come. Anyone in possession of photos pre 1970 with Welsh themes are invited to send them to me at [email protected].

I am also trying to put together head shots of past Welsh champions which can be put onto the WCU website.

I am having particular difficulties tracking down pictures of Dr. M.E.Wise - an Englishman - who won the title in 1957; and Donald A. Curtis, the winner in 1959 who later played for Leyton Buzzard.

I appreciate that I am a Welshman intruding on an English site but many of our former players have lived across the border and consequently many photographs also lie there also. Any help is much appreciated.

MJMcCready

Re: Welsh Chess Photographs

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:09 pm

There's no intrusion, its a global site for everyone. I'll try and help you out with Curtis but I'll need a few months. It's unlikely that a photo will exist from his playing days at Leighton Buzzard I think though. Stand to be corrected of course.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:19 pm

I've only been a member of Leighton Buzzard Chess Club since 1990, but before posting I have asked some founder members about Mr Curtis. He has not been a member of our club, so it is probable that he moved from Wales to somewhere else. The club was formed in the early 80s.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Brian Valentine wrote:but before posting I have asked some founder members about Mr Curtis. He has not been a member of our club, so it is probable that he moved from Wales to somewhere else.
I have a record of three games from the 1970s against I assume the Welsh Curtis. Two are in Berks & Bucks Congresses (Marlow/Amersham) and one in the Bucks Individual. He would have been 170s/180s which I suppose could have been enough to win the Welsh Championship in the 1960s. At a guess he could have been a member of the Bletchley club which at the time fielded a team in the Bucks League playing all its matches in Aylesbury. Later Bletchley became Milton Keynes and left Bucks to join or concentrate on Beds.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Spot on Roger. The 1971/72 BCF Yearbook lists Donald A. Curtis as Secretary of the Bletchley Chess Club.

Brian Denman

Post by Brian Denman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:32 pm

I have the score of a game played by D A Curtis for Bucks v Sussex in 1977. I also possess a few SCCU grading lists for the 1970s, which list Curtis firstly as a member of the Bletchley CC and then the Milton Keynes CC. In these bulletins Curtis's grading is in the range of 164 to 181.

I also possess the score of a game played by M E Wise for Surrey v Sussex in 1946. 'Chess' of June 1977 quoted a game between Maurice Staples and an M Wise, but this may not be the same person.

Martyn Griffiths

Post by Martyn Griffiths » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Gordon discovered that Donald Curtis lived in 40 Chiltern Gardens, Leighton Buzzard 40 years ago but played for Bletchley.

Martyn Griffiths

Post by Martyn Griffiths » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Many thanks. Don Curtis now traced and spoken to on the phone. He is that rarity of a strong player who did not go to a chess playing school. He learnt his chess by watching others and under the tutelage of Mr. George Moore of the North Cardiff Club who himself became the oldest winner of the Welsh Championships at the age of 59.

Now I need to track down Dr. Wise' family!!

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 pm

This may help, its from old Tom Sweby's chess column in the Luton News and is dated April 25th 1968
apr25 68.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.