Newsflash by G.H. Diggle

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Brian Denman

Re: Newsflash by G.H. Diggle

Post by Brian Denman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:29 pm

I met G H Diggle about twenty five years ago. He lived in Hove and let me look at his chess library. I was particularly interested in Chess Player's Chronicles of the 1840s, which at that time had not been reprinted and were rare books. We had a discussion about the first Brighton Chess Club. He was about ninety years old, but did not look his age. I found him very pleasant and in no way controversial. Sadly he did not live for many years after our meeting.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:The wall of silence is truly stunning. Who was G.H. Diggle ?

Was he simply a chess enthusiast who wished to remain anonymous ? I suspect that Paul Buswell knows the answer to this mystery.
Diggle reached the eight-player final of the knock-out London championship around 1946, and gave a reasonable showing for one who was outclassed.

In around 1977, Lloyds Bank sponsored a simul by Nigel Short at the Guildhall against 30 or so invited City and media opponents. Diggle was one of the players, invited at my suggestion, and wrote an amusing account afterwards of his experience. We spoke then, and I think did so on one or two previous and later occasions, so the above suggestion of an identity mystery about him is nonsense.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:24 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
Gordon Cadden wrote:The wall of silence is truly stunning. Who was G.H. Diggle ?

Was he simply a chess enthusiast who wished to remain anonymous ? I suspect that Paul Buswell knows the answer to this mystery.
Diggle reached the eight-player final of the knock-out London championship around 1946, and gave a reasonable showing for one who was outclassed.

In around 1977, Lloyds Bank sponsored a simul by Nigel Short at the Guildhall against 30 or so invited City and media opponents. Diggle was one of the players, invited at my suggestion, and wrote an amusing account afterwards of his experience. We spoke then, and I think did so on one or two previous and later occasions, so the above suggestion of an identity mystery about him is nonsense.
I don't think he's a mystery man. An unsung hero of amateur chess perhaps, and thus not well known. He has the most brilliant turn of phrase. I like his description of himself as 'an experienced resigner' - he's like a breathe of fresh air, a formal but very funny man.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:Was he simply a chess enthusiast who wished to remain anonymous ? I suspect that Paul Buswell knows the answer to this mystery.
I can't really add that much. I never met him. As far as I know he was exactly who people say he was: a good (but retired) amateur with a brilliant turn of phrase. Lived in Rustington, I think, but I may be wrong. I don't remember how it came about that he contributed a monthly (unpaid) piece to the BCF 'Newsflash', but it was a highlight of office life when a new Badmaster piece came in the post.

PB

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Thank you for your contribution Paul. Cannot remember an official obituary for GHD; he certainly deserved one for his literary contribution to the game. I admire his Bad Master series, which have a prominent position in my library.
n

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Brian Denman wrote:I met G H Diggle about twenty five years ago. He lived in Hove and let me look at his chess library. I was particularly interested in Chess Player's Chronicles of the 1840s, which at that time had not been reprinted and were rare books. We had a discussion about the first Brighton Chess Club. He was about ninety years old, but did not look his age. I found him very pleasant and in no way controversial. Sadly he did not live for many years after our meeting.
Must have been a nice day. I wonder what happened to his library.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:Thank you for your contribution Paul. Cannot remember an official obituary for GHD; he certainly deserved one for his literary contribution to the game. I admire his Bad Master series, which have a prominent position in my library.
n
Diggle writes exceptionally well. His style is effortless and insightful. He is so great at bringing people to life. Have a re-read of 56. Malevolent Match Captains. Fantastic stuff.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:Thank you for your contribution Paul. Cannot remember an official obituary for GHD; he certainly deserved one for his literary contribution to the game. I admire his Bad Master series, which have a prominent position in my library.
n
I would be particularly interested in finding that -if it exists.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:53 pm

I have come across a nice game by G. H. Diggle from an unknown event, both players were members of Luton Chess Club at the time.

Tim Harding

Re: Newsflash by D.H. Diggle

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:24 pm
You can just about find anything online these days. Mike Basman wrote; "Confessions of a crooked Master", which Kingpin Magazine have very kindly published on the internet. I can remember the days when I paid hard cash for "Kingpin". MB did a sneaky retracted move against dear old Baruch H. Wood, and guaranteed that grandmaster Florin Gheorghiu would never set foot on our shores again.
What is this allegation about Basman, Wood and Gheorghiu?

Gheorghiu played the Teesside international in 1972 so something that happened at the 67/68 Hastings cannot have
guaranteed that grandmaster Florin Gheorghiu would never set foot on our shores again.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:08 pm

He played in the big 1980 London tournament as well.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)