Works based Chess Clubs

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Neil Graham

Works based Chess Clubs

Post by Neil Graham » Fri May 27, 2016 10:11 am

Last week the final cigarettes were manufactured in the UK when the Imperial Tobacco company closed its Nottingham Horizon factory. The factory which at one time turned out 50 billion cigarettes a year closed on 18th May making 500 employees redundant. Formally John Player and Sons, the firm at one time had a thriving Sports and Social Club and it's chess club was the strongest in Nottinghamshire winning the local county league in 1968.

The Chess Club expired long before the closure of the factory and follows many other works-based clubs. In Nottinghamshire cycle manufacturing has ceased along with the Raleigh Chess Club. Coal mining is no more as are the Sherwood Colliery, Bevercotes Colliery and Welbeck Colliery Chess Clubs, Boots are still in the city albeit as part of a group based in Switzerland but there is no chess club. The work based chess club is now a memory.

This week Courtaulds in Derbyshire called in the receiver with 320 more employees made redundant. Again the club of that name, based at the old British Celanese factory at Spondon, ceased to exist when those works closed down. In that case the club still exists as "Spondon".

Memories of work based clubs would be welcome in this thread.

Mike Truran

Re: Works based Chess Clubs

Post by Mike Truran » Fri May 27, 2016 10:17 am

Neil

I recall there was another thread on this subject a while back.

Jack - might it be worth combining the two threads?

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:44 am

Mike Truran wrote:I recall there was another thread on this subject a while back. Jack - might it be worth combining the two threads?
Mike: could this be the one you mean? I recall there's two or three other threads that also have some posts on the subject, which I'll try to track down as well.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:21 am

Yes, that was exactly the one I had in mind. Thanks for finding it!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:53 pm

I did think about trying to get some sort of chess club, or at least an annual tournament started in the NHS. But after starting a “feeler” thread on the NHS forum the responses of “Is that like draughts?” and “Can we do it on Xbox live?” dampened my ardour somewhat! Shame really, massive canteen at work, a congress could be held in it.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:05 pm

There is a new work based chess club - South Croydon Bus Garage who formed a few years ago and play in the Croydon League. I think, though, that they are yet to win a match.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:11 pm

Back in the mid-70s maybe a majority of teams in the Lancaster chess league were works/social club based, when I started playing in 1981 that was down to a handful - by the mid 80s there were none.

From what I have learned from others, that was a pattern repeated (and on a not dissimilar timescale) elsewhere.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Post Fisher boom period I suppose - once the excitement had died down many of the casual majority of players will have worked out they were never going to be that great and packed in, the clubs died off.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:04 pm

To some extent, though as the original thread mentioned works chess clubs were a mainstay of the British chess scene in the rather less exalted 50s and 60s as well. I personally think their decline was bound up with wider societal changes (and whilst some of those who played in them were sadly lost to competitive chess when they folded, quite a few did actually join the "dedicated" chess clubs)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:59 pm

I doubt it's particularly a chess thing. One could probably identify the same trends in any number of sporting/game activities. Probably any number of contributing factors - the decline of "jobs for life"/people spending most of their life working in the same place, changed employer attitudes towards having a wider social responsibility towards their employees, the fact that employees are far less likely to live in the same area that they work, all contributing to a greater separation between work and social life that once would have been inextricably linked.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:03 am

I think Richard is right.

Redhill Chess Club did run a local competition for work-based teams a few years ago and didn't get a huge entry, maybe three or four teams of four. Those who played were keen. I think Thurston Helicopters (from nearby Redhill Aerodrome at that stage) and Toyota played in the final. One of our stronger players worked at Toyota, but omitted himself from the team to give others a chance. I think Thurston flew off with the trophy. I can't remember if we tried to run another one, (if so, there was less interest) but the idea was worth a try.