Historical British tournaments: latest BritBase updates

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Historical British tournaments: latest BritBase updates

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am

"Faz did have an over-optimistic approach to some endgames, notoriously against William Winter at Buxton 1950, where the position was heading for B and wrong colour RP v K late in the adjournment session when Faz refused a draw. Winter took umbrage and declared loudly "You can keep on trying to win this, Doctor Fazekas, until the cows come home. I'm off to the pub!"

Then he marched out to the pub a few doors away. He had plenty of clock time left, returned 20 minutes later, and banged down his king at h8. Faz still made a move or two, but a crowd gathered round the board, Winter continued to bang down his king, and Faz got the message."

A great story! For anyone tempted to emulate this, I must say that the current Laws do not allow you to leave the playing venue during the game. I think any arbiter who can actually play chess would sympathise though.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:32 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am
For anyone tempted to emulate this, I must say that the current Laws do not allow you to leave the playing venue during the game. I think any arbiter who can actually play chess would sympathise though.
Perhaps by exercising their discretion to allow you to leave the playing venue during the game.

(I did have an opponent some years ago who requested permission and was given it. He said he needed to go to the bank before it shut for the day.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:37 pm

"Perhaps by exercising their discretion to allow you to leave the playing venue during the game."

Absolutely. At a tournament a couple of years ago, the drinks machine broke down, so I announced that the playing venue henceforth stretched along the footpath to the nearest corner shop (which had a drinks machine). It was only about 100 yards further than the designated smoking area.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am
A great story! For anyone tempted to emulate this, I must say that the current Laws do not allow you to leave the playing venue during the game. I think any arbiter who can actually play chess would sympathise though.
Perhaps players could contend that (like the famous snooker player Bill Werbeniuk) they needed an alcoholic infusion or three to steady their nerves during the game and seek permission of the arbiters to visit a nearby hostelry. Obviously an arbiter would need to be deputed to accompany them to ensure they did not seek outside/electronic assistance. I am confident this procedure would meet with the full approval of many arbiters of my acquaintance.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:21 pm

"Obviously an arbiter would need to be deputed to accompany them to ensure they did not seek outside/electronic assistance. I am confident this procedure would meet with the full approval of many arbiters of my acquaintance."

True - I recall (many years ago) leaving the venue with a colleague for a quick lunch time pint (next door)at the start of the round, hoping there would be no disputes. Two players then arrived and explained their dispute, I made a decision, they politely thanked me, and returned to the board, where they adjusted the clock and resumed play. Of course in those days, we relied on Mr Babbage's Difference Engine for calculations, and that wasn't easily portable.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Obviously an arbiter would need to be deputed to accompany them
I was an eye-witness to the Fazekas v Winter episode and am pretty sure that Willie was accompanied to the pub by Frank Chetwynd, the BCF's first salaried secretary.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:21 pm
Of course in those days, we relied on Mr Babbage's Difference Engine for calculations, and that wasn't easily portable.
But then in those days you might have seen Ada Lovelace Byron ( poet Byron's daughter) working the equipment instead of Dave Clayton or Carl Hibbard !

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:59 pm

"But then in those days you might have seen Ada Lovelace Byron ( poet Byron's daughter) working the equipment instead of Dave Clayton or Carl Hibbard !"

Dave and Carl should be honoured by the comparison!