English victories against reigning World Champions

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: English victories against reigning World Champions

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:06 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:04 am
Matt Mackenzie>Alekhine always made clear he would have a rematch with Capa if JRC matched the conditions he (AAA) had had to fulfil for their 1927 match. It is not really his fault that the world economic crash soon afterwards made that a rather more daunting prospect...<

Matt, please note that those conditions applied only to Capablanca - they were not applied to Bogoljubow and Euwe.
Of course not, they had not made such demands of Alekhine previously. Unlike his predecessor as WC.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:11 am

Alekhine, Bogoljubow, Capablanca (then World Champion), Maroczy, Rubinstein, Reti, Tartakower & Vidmar all signed the "London Rules" in 1922.

Euwe was the youngest competitor at that tournament. I don't know if he signed at the time, or not.

(Lasker, Nimzowitch & Spielmann were not there and so did not sign.)

Alekhine played their 1927 World Ch. match, in Buenos Aires, under those agreed London Rules.

Capa did try to change them - particularly the number of games - soon after he'd lost the title and was seeking a rematch.

Alekhine was adamant about keeping them unchanged - particularly for Capablanca.

Why did he allow Bogoljubow, a London Rules signatory, two title matches under a relaxed version of them, but wouldn't hardly budge at all when it came to a rematch with Capablanca?

Even when Capa later (in Dec. 1929 the press carried reports of a rematch in 1930) made efforts to issue a challenge in accordamce with the "London Rules" Alekhine made no concessions to him, despite the NY stockmarket crash, but did so for the other two challengers.

In 1930 for San Remo Alekhine demanded a doubling of his 20,000 lira fee if Capa were to play, too. Of course Capa was not invited. And, the same kind of conditions are said to have been applied for Bled, 1931.

All that ducking & diving - Alekhine was determined never to allow a rematch and probably welcomed any and all obstacles to one.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:14 am

To me, all of the above shows that between 1929 and 1946 Alekhine made a mockery of the process to produce a challenger for the World Championship and thereby brought both it and himself into disrepute.

Any list of those who defeated a World Chess Champion will be haunted by the sins of omission of the champions themselves.

Just getting to play against them can be problematical even for their peers.

So beware, all who enter here, it's not as simple as it seems, then again, it hardly ever is.

David McAlister

Post by David McAlister » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Anyone want to have a go at English victories against these World Champions - Khalifman (FIDE Las Vegas 1999), Ponomariov (FIDE Moscow 2001), Kasimdzhanov (FIDE Tripoli 2004) and Topalov (FIDE San Luis 2005)?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:28 am

David McAlister wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 pm
Anyone want to have a go at English victories against these World Champions - Khalifman (FIDE Las Vegas 1999), Ponomariov (FIDE Moscow 2001), Kasimdzhanov (FIDE Tripoli 2004) and Topalov (FIDE San Luis 2005)?
A valid post, I would also like to know.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:34 pm

I was testing Chat GPT and asked it for the best game of Michael Basman. Here is it's response:

One of his most famous games is his victory against Anatoly Karpov at the 1974 Luton tournament.

This game is a great example of Basman's imaginative and creative play style. He opens with the unusual move 1...g6, which sets the stage for a game full of unconventional ideas. Throughout the game, he sacrifices material to gain positional advantages, and his attacking play eventually leads to a stunning victory against one of the greatest players of all time.
Is this complete hogwash? If so, who played this game?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:59 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:34 pm
I[Event "Luton"]
[Date "1974"]
Is this complete hogwash? If so, who played this game?
I cannot find evidence of either Karpov or Basman reaching the Tiger Modern position of this game or any game by anyone that matches the later play.

Given that Luton 1974 is unlikely to have reached major databases, that could account for the absence. Of the two, it's only Basman who may have played at Luton in 1974 and the Tiger Modern sequence was known at that time in England as Botterill had played it in 1971 at Hastings. Also Keene played it in the 1974 Olympiad.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:14 pm

The likelihood of Karpov playing in a weekend tournament in 1974 in Luton is, shall we say, not terribly high.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:14 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:14 pm
The likelihood of Karpov playing in a weekend tournament in 1974 in Luton is, shall we say, not terribly high.
I played at Luton 1974, my first ever weekend Swiss. Basman may well have been there, since he was everywhere around then, but I think I would have remembered Karpov.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:05 am

I imagine the likelihood of Karpov's playing The Worst Move On The Board on move 38 there also isn't particularly high.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:26 pm

Well that alone intrigues me as to who the opponent actually *was*.

(if not Karpov, then some pretty strong players could still make a clanger like that in time trouble)

Tim Harding

Re: English victories against World Champions

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:36 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:53 pm
If we apply the toughest criteria - a win at classical time control against a reigning world champion I think I have six:
Lasker-Blackburne, Hastings 1895
Lasker-Blackburne, London 1899
Penrose-Tal, Liepzig 1960
Karpov-Miles Skara 1980
Short-Kasparov Brussels 1984
Short-Kasparov London 1993
Looking back at this old thread, I think nobody including me previously pointed out that the fifth item in the above list is invalid.
Kasparov did not become world champion until the 9th of November 1985, when he won Game 24 of his second match with Karpov.

In relation to David McAlister's query back in 2018, also unanswered, about whether any English/British player defeated one of the winners of FIDE's knockout championships while they were technically the "reigning world champion", I can offer Nigel Short's training match with Ponomariov in the summer of 2003. At that time Ponomariov was still hoping to get a match with Kasparov and Nigel went to Yalta.
I don't have the complete result or know the time limit but it was probably classical as Ponomariov was training for a classical match.

I do know that Nigel won both Game 6 and Game 8 employing the Evans Gambit.

One of those games was included on a Nigel Short's Greatest Hits DVD for ChessBase and eventually he annotated them both in print in the column he used to write for New In Chess (no 8 of 2016 and no 6 of 2018 if my notes are correct). Possibly they are not in standard databases.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Well its not *really* invalid because Short actually beat Kasparov at Brussels 198*6* (not 1984)

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:28 pm

David McAlister wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 pm
I'm guessing the answer will be mainly Adams! Lol A light check for one - Ponomariov 1-1 with Adams at Linares 2002. I think he also recorded only one classical win against Karpov, which was Dortmund in 1994, but that was in Karpov's 1993-1999 FIDE reign. And I can throw in Sadler v Khalifman from Bundesliga 2000.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:22 pm

The idea of Karpov playing at Luton is absurd.

I don't think he ever played in a weekend Swiss.