Paleface Attack

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
John Clarke

Re: Paleface Attack

Post by John Clarke » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:45 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:28 pm
Taumata-whaka-tangi-hanga-kuayuwo-tamate-aturi-pukaku-piki-maunga-horonuku-pokaiawhen-uaka-tana-tahu-mataku-atanganu-akawa-miki-tora

Quantum Jump song withh a Tonto / Lone Ranger joke
Hmmmm .... it would never get airplay in NZ nowadays! Cultural appropriation, for one thing. And not even correctly rendered (there's no letter "y" in Maori). Just saying. :roll:
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:11 pm

Got some renewed airplay recently with Rupert Hine's passing.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:03 pm

I've decided to descend to some of the point scoring and back biting for which this forum is famous, and this is the obvious place to start.

1 d4 Nf6 2 f3 is not the Paleface Attack. It just isn't. If you ask 100 graded chess players what that sequence is called, The Paleface Attack is probably a pointless answer.

If Neil wants us to call it the Paleface attack, he needs to popularise the name. I am looking for at least 25 out of 100. Writing a book is probably his best option. I don't think it is a bad opening provided you don't blunder a pawn after 2...d5.

Also, I had never heard of Quantum Jump. They are worse than the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:03 pm
I've decided to descend to some of the point scoring and back biting for which this forum is famous, and this is the obvious place to start.

1 d4 Nf6 2 f3 is not the Paleface Attack. It just isn't. If you ask 100 graded chess players what that sequence is called, The Paleface Attack is probably a pointless answer.

If Neil wants us to call it the Paleface attack, he needs to popularise the name. I am looking for at least 25 out of 100. Writing a book is probably his best option. I don't think it is a bad opening provided you don't blunder a pawn after 2...d5.

Also, I had never heard of Quantum Jump. They are worse than the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit.
It's clearly recognised as the Paleface Attack. Lichess recognises it as the Paleface Attack as does chess.com, chesstempo and 365Chess.com etc. Classified as A45 by these databases. Chessbase shows over 2,500 games opening 1 d4 Nf6 2 f3 - most of which recategorise themselves as D00 and Blackmar-Diemer Gambits, the remainder taking up the A45 classification. I've no particular reason to popularise it but am just curious where and how the name originated - chess players aren't particularly familiar with it by name as very few chess players actually play it but I'll make a note if I ever win to inform my opponent that they lost to the Paleface Attack. I'm not sure the world is ready for a book by a player of my standard.

Finally I haven't heard of any records by the Blackmar-Diemer Gambits - though Emile Ford and the Checkmates had several hits. The record "The Lone Ranger" by Quantum Jump was banned by the BBC for questionable lyrics.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:46 pm
The record "The Lone Ranger" by Quantum Jump was banned by the BBC for questionable lyrics.
When it was originally released, yes.

Its re-issue in 1979 not only got played on Radio 1 but entered the charts and earned the band a TOTP appearance.

The irony is that they had actually split up a bit before and had to re-form for the occasion.

And here endeth the Quantum Jump diversion ;)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm

I went to the bank last Friday to see if I could borrow some money. I saw the clerk at the counter and asked "Could I see the Loan Arranger?"
She replied "He's out a lunch but Tonto is available."

See what we've learned so far in this thread are various comments (and bad jokes) about the Lone Ranger, that the name Paleface Attack invokes the wrath of Paul, that Roger has looked at some of my openings, but nothing about where the opening name came from.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Also, I saw another report the other day that the first inhabitants of America originally came from Asia. Apparently, they walked North, turned right and then right again to go South. So maybe they were Indians.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 pm

Capital Radio Kenny Everett played this song lots.
Blackmar-Diemer Gambit is the opening.
Black is not OK to use now.
online Chess names are dubious.
Asia not Eskimo.
You will not win against me Neil. 1 d4 Nf6 2 f3?

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:04 am

Why doesn't the Lone Ranger play chess against Tonto any more?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 pm

I do not know. What's the punchline?

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:44 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:04 am
Why doesn't the Lone Ranger play chess against Tonto any more?
Possibly because he found out what Kemo Sabe meant?

"Son of Paleface" on Sony TV tonight - starring Bob Hope, Jane Russell & Roy Rogers.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:21 pm

As often, Paul Cooksey writes sensibly. The opening 1. d4 Nf6 2. f3 has no name that chess players are familiar with. The first grandmaster who plays it regularly will get to name it properly.

"Paleface Attack" is merely pulp nonsense originating with Schiller, alongside hundreds of other nonsense names for openings of dubious provenance. As it is, I wouldn't want to use such a dubious name of dubious origin, particularly when it reeks of colonial attitudes to US history.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:57 pm

1.d4 Sf6 2.f3 occurs 1023 times in Megabase 2020 of which 19 games are designated as "Top Games" (surely an oxymoron)

The most obvious fan of this line is Canadian IM Hasan Abbasifar who trots it out fairly regularly.

So, I will break a bottle of Moët & Chandon over the f3 square and dub this adventure

Abbasifar's Folly

Good luck to all who sail in her !
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Roy Rogers and Jane Russell are Top Performers. We will not outlaw white and black from chess.