Standardplay v Rapidplay

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Post Reply
Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:55 pm

For the purposes of ECF grading, where is the boundary between standardplay and rapidplay (and blitz for that matter)? I seem to remember 15 or 60 minutes being the cutoff, but I'm not sure whether 60 is 30 for both sides, or 60 for both sides. How do incremental time controls affect this?

User avatar
Peter Brace
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Peter Brace » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:11 pm

I think rapidplay games are now less than 60 minutes and that previously 60 minute games were allowed.

User avatar
Peter Brace
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Peter Brace » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:53 pm

I just checked the FIDE rules and found this...

'A ‘Rapidplay’ game is one where either all the moves must be made in a fixed time of at least 15 minutes but
less than 60 minutes for each player; or the time allotted + 60 times any increment is at least 15 minutes, but
less than 60 minutes for each player.'

'A ‘blitz’ game is one where all the moves must be made in a fixed time of less than 15 minutes for each player;
or the allotted time + 60 times any increment is less than 15 minutes for each player.'

Hope that helps you.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks. :)

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:For the purposes of ECF grading, where is the boundary between standardplay and rapidplay (and blitz for that matter)? I seem to remember 15 or 60 minutes being the cutoff, but I'm not sure whether 60 is 30 for both sides, or 60 for both sides. How do incremental time controls affect this?
You could have looked here http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=12 (second paragraph), but its probably fortunate that you didn't because I was told last weekend that the information it gives is wrong. A game of exactly 60 minutes is now graded as standard play, not rapidplay, to bring the grading time limits into line with the FIDE playing rules time limits. Blitz games are not eligible for grading. For incremental games you work out how long a player would have for 60 moves.

John Upham
Posts: 4422
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 am

The Surrey Border League has G61 (rather than G60) as one of its time controls due to the ECF / FIDE disagreement!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:45 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:For the purposes of ECF grading, where is the boundary between standardplay and rapidplay (and blitz for that matter)? I seem to remember 15 or 60 minutes being the cutoff, but I'm not sure whether 60 is 30 for both sides, or 60 for both sides. How do incremental time controls affect this?
You could have looked here http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=12 (second paragraph), but its probably fortunate that you didn't because I was told last weekend that the information it gives is wrong. A game of exactly 60 minutes is now graded as standard play, not rapidplay, to bring the grading time limits into line with the FIDE playing rules time limits. Blitz games are not eligible for grading. For incremental games you work out how long a player would have for 60 moves.
The "I was told last weekend" (now 2 weeks ago) came from a senior ECF official who I assumed knew what he was talking about (particularly as he maintained his position when we showed him the statement on the ECF website). I was surprised to read Item 4 from an SCCU Executive Committee meeting report (http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/sccu.htm) which says that nothing has changed. Can someone from the Grading team give a definitive statement on what the grading rules are for a game with all moves in exactly 60 minutes?

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:46 pm

("It's Rapidplay, but we'll grade it as Standard if you like.") is a wonderful comment from (http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/sccu.htm). Shouldn't grading rules apply to junior events? I have even heard of one junior league where the games are graded even when clocks aren't used!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Richard Haddrell

Re: Standardplay v Rapidplay

Post by Richard Haddrell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:43 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:("It's Rapidplay, but we'll grade it as Standard if you like.") is a wonderful comment from (http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/sccu.htm). Shouldn't grading rules apply to junior events? I have even heard of one junior league where the games are graded even when clocks aren't used!
This isn’t about juniors. My version of the ECF rule - yes, I perpetrated it - was an admittedly lighthearted paraphrase, but it was close enough to the truth. The actual wording is: “If the rate of play is the maximum for Rapidplay then it may, by agreement with the Manager of Grading and Rating, be graded as Standardplay.” That is taken from the 2009 printed Grading List but it has been the rule, with minor changes of wording, for I don’t know how many years. It has always been quoted in the online list as well, though for some reason it’s omitted this year. Offhand I can only think of two events (both are serious and longstanding junior championships) that take advantage of it.

If people are submitting a league that is played without clocks, they are breaking the rules. The ECF does not sanction this.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF

Post Reply